The Unjust Answer | Teen Ink

The Unjust Answer

By mewgirl1995 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
mewgirl1995 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Wars are cruel things, full of nothing but violence. During war only one thing is important; winning. World War 2 confirms this as many countries went to extremes to win. The one country that crossed the line though, was the United States when they used the atomic bomb against Japan. The atomic bombing was the most unjust act of World War 2.

Japan may have attack Pearl Harbor, for they were getting cocky, and that bombing pulled the U.S into World War 2. The U.S and the Allies fought against Japan several more years before the war started to come to a close. When the U.S denied the terms Japan wanted for surrender, Japan refused to surrender at all. The U.S then decided to attack Japan with their newest weapon. On August 6, 1945 and August 9, 1945 the U.S attacked Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the atomic bomb, a ruthless killing device.

Because Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, many people will argue their deeds were justified. However, the two attacks were complete opposites. The bombing on Pearl Harbor only killed 2,402 people, 57 of which were civilians. The bombing on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, however, killed 220,000 people, and most of them were civilians. Not only did the atomic bomb demolish the cities and people, it also doomed Japan to nuclear radiation. Today children who live in both cities have developed illnesses like leukemia caused by the atomic bombing. The death toll for the atomic bombing on Hiroshima and Nagasaki keeps increasing, even today. All of this occurred just because Japan and the U.S couldn’t agree on the terms of the surrender.

Do we really need complete control of Japan? Do we really need to destroy innocent lives to achieve it? Do we really need to go to all extremes?

The atomic bombing was a malicious killing only seen in the most horrifying movies. It was so evil that no other country has ever used it again. The United States’s attack against Japan is the only atomic bombing attack in history.

There will be thousands and thousands of wars that cannot all be won with the atomic bomb, so why even create it? Soon after the atomic bombing Martin Luther King Jr. said, “We have genuflected before the god of science only to find that it has given us the atomic bomb, producing fears and anxieties that science can never mitigate.” We can only hope to be forgiven for the horrors that have been done, but some people say it isn’t a big deal when thousands of people are killed.

They are wrong. Our attack against Japan destroyed generations of people that could have been spared. We may have lost the greatest minds ever known, all for a war that wasn’t worth winning, a war that simply started a craze that cannot be undone. Why?

I hope someday all people who fought in World War 2 may be forgiven for their actions, for what they may have done that was wrong. I hope that someday Hiroshima and Nagasaki may find it in their hearts to forgive us, and I hope someday the damage caused by the atomic bomb can be undone.

CharisTikvah said...
on Jul. 10 2015 at 12:16 am
CharisTikvah, Milford, New Hampshire

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."
~Ronald Reagan

The very unfortunate thing about this article is that it makes Japan look innocent, when in fact Japan committed what is arguably one of the worst genocides in human history. America was not the one who crossed the line; Japan crossed the line when its Imperial Army brutally murdered 260,000 to 350,000 innocent Chinese citizens during the Rape of Nanking, a city that had already surrendered. Keep in mind these are more immediate deaths than occurred at Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Japan was not only guilty of killing civilians in what can unfortunately be chalked up as "collateral damage", they were guilty of cold-blooded massacre. Also, keep in mind that Japan had not properly prepared themselves for a mainland invasion/raid and thus their cities were built in such a way that they did not separate military from civilian properly. Civilian casualties were inevitable, and that was largely due to the Japanese lack of forethought. We had to end the war, for the Americans being tortured in POW camps, for the Chinese being slaughtered in occupied China, and even to spare the lives of both American and Japanese soldiers who would have been annihilated had we been forced to invade mainland Japan. Keep in mind, the estimates for casualties had we been forced to invade mainland Japan dwarf those at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The atomic bombs did, potentially, save lives. The reality is, Japan should have surrendered. Hirohito should have stepped in much sooner than he did, but he didn't. Meanwhile, you had men such as Admiral Onishii who said, "If we are prepared to sacrifice 20 million Japanese lives in a kamikaze effort, victory will be ours!" Yes, we did ask for unconditional surrender, however, the Japanese could continue to govern themselves so long as Hirohito was taken out of power. Those terms are more than generous, but because they wrongly viewed Hirohito as living god, they did not accept them. And did those who drop the bomb really regret it? Colonel Paul Tibbits didn't, even stating if he had to, he would do it all over again, because at the end of the day, he knew it had to be done.