Advocacy Letter to school | Teen Ink

Advocacy Letter to school

November 25, 2009
By Anonymous

I am currently a senior in High School and I skateboard. I’ve noticed there are diverse amounts of Physical Education courses offered during the summer as opposed to other schools. But, there is nothing for “extreme” sports. I think it would be a great opportunity to have a class that consists of skateboarding because it has a great culture behind and I believe students will catch on.

Browsing through the summer course catalog in a quest to find a class to keep me interested, I was struggling. Three courses are offered; traditional, adventure, and club . Why isn’t there a course for “extreme” sports? Since Delafield skate park is only fifteen minutes away from Arrowhead, it would be a perfect place to send the students. Also, skate parks like Delafield are free. All you need to do is supply protective gear and buy a couple extra skateboards, which isn’t as expensive as other sports like football. Also, you could limit the class size to lower expenses. When it comes to injuries just have all the students sign a waiver or permission form. People are going to get hurt, but if they are wearing gear and just starting out, they aren’t going to get hurt as much. I have heard of schools in California that do this and the students love it. They have buses ready to go and they drive students to skate parks for P.E. class.

As the Department Coordinator, you have the power to expand the course selection and have an even more diverse physical education system. With your help, students might be able to discover a new passion and be educated on an interesting culture.

Thank you for your time and consideration.