Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

By wickedreader BRONZE, Warmister, Pennsylvania
wickedreader BRONZE, Warmister, Pennsylvania

The purpose of our lives is to be happy.-- Dalai Lama

Gay marriage. It's not the question of whether you approve of gays or not. It's the question of your beliefs. I am not a particularly strong person of faith but when it comes down to it, I'm a Christian and I will follow what the Bible tells me and the Bible tells me that marriage is between a man, a woman, and Himself. Notice that man and man or woman and woman aren't mentioned in that formula. People think that it's silly to base your beliefs off of religion but isn't that what we are supposed to base our beliefs off of? We, as a society, have tried so hard to separate religion from everyday life, that we forget the meaning behind our actions. We are forgetting the roots in which we came from. We act like a bunch of heathens. I know we have to draw the line somewhere, we are, after all, a nation where you can practice whatever belief you want freely but allowing a gay couple to make the vows that are meant for a heterosexual couple under the name of God is just wrong to me.
I have gay friends and I know how strongly they believe in their rights but marriage isn't something that should be in the mix. I don't even think marriage is a government decision, frankly. Only God can recognize a marriage, not a government. Personally speaking, every couple should get a civil union issued from the government that entitles you to the basic rights of a marriage now, like sharing medical insurance or hospital visits. That would be that, and everybody would have equal rights. But if a man and woman want to get married in God's name they can go to a church and ask to be married. After those vows they can be man and wife. Simple. Yet, I know there will be people that still aren't happy. What these people don't realize is that this is an issue that they can't change. It is the word of God and God's will is final.

I know a lot of people won't like what I am saying but that is what makes this an opinion, the fact that not everyone will agree with me. I just want the other side to see where I'm coming from in hopes of coming to an agreement. Whether the world reaches one or not is not in my control, but I like to think that I'm contributing to the final decision.

I hope that by writing this article that the homosexual population will better understand why so many people are opposed to gay marriage.

the kenpachi said...
on Mar. 24 2014 at 10:13 am
yyyyaaayyyy

the kenpachi said...
on Mar. 24 2014 at 10:11 am
you may follow the bible thats you not everyone else

lizzy6107 said...
If God hadn’t wanted gay people, then why would he have made them in the first place?

lizzy said...
on Jun. 3 2013 at 11:29 am
There are many people who feel that gay people shouldn’t be able to get married because it goes against the bible.  My simple reply to that is, “If God hadn’t wanted gay people in the first place, then why would he have made them?”

During Ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, Homosexuality was actually something that was accepted, and widely practiced.  Upon researching a bit you will find that the Gladiators, to celebrate a victory, would often "hook up" and "do it" with each other, two, three, it is said that there was a time when-after defeating twelve tigers and a lion all at once-twenty Gladiators got together and had a huge...well...circle of sex....lol.  It was considered completely normal, and glorious. 

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

Also marriage isn't "defined" by the Bib.le. Before the time of the Bi.ble in places like ancient Greece and Rome, marriage very well existed. So in reality, the Bi.ble doesnt contain the original definition of marriage, whether it really is the "word of Go.d" or not, so that argument is invalid.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 2:21 am

I understand what your saying however, I still believe you're crossing the line. You can't use the Bi.ble or Go.d as your driving force when saying who someone can and cant marry. Youre basically using your beliefs to dictate some one elses life, and thats not okay, especially if theyre not the same religion as you.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 2:16 am

"Marriage in the Bible..." not everyone is Christian. Marrying on religious terms includes religions like Budd.hism, Wic.can, and other religions like it. Not every religion condemns homosexuality, so theres no argument there. Also you dont have to go to a church or whatever to get married. You could get married in a court house because when you get down to it, marriage is nothing but a piece of paper given to you by the state you live in. So theres no argument there either.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 2:11 am

I have to say I disagree with this. When voting on something like should gay marriage be allowed, religion shouldnt be the driving force behind your decision. Your basically using your beliefs to dictate some one elses life. And actually, marriage wasnt determined by the Bible. In the times of the Roman and Greeks (when the Bible didnt exist) people werent "married" persay, but they declared Holy union under Zeus, or whatever supreme diety they believed in. Also, you dont have to get married in a church. When you get down to t, marriage is just a piece of paper given to you by the state you live in. You could get married in a court house.

How could you possibly compare the Bible to a gossip magazine? Do you have any idea how the Bible was written? It was divinely inspired which means that God spoke his words through man, and man wrote them down. So yes, God did write the Bible and yes I will "strongly" follow what it says.

Lizard BRONZE said...
Lizard BRONZE, Dickson, Tennessee
Totally agree. Holy Matrimony. That is a religious term. Yes, we do have freedom of religion, but wouldn't make since if gays didn't get married? Marriage in the Bible is between man and woman, never does it say woman and woman or man and man. If you want to marry, then you are going by religious terms, so therefore, gay marriage shouldn't be allowed.

Bobby said...
I don't understand why people follow the bible so strongly. God did not write the bible why follow something so strongly that other people wrote. Jesus didn't even write the bible.
It is the same as me going to read a magazine and believe and follow everything in it. Jesus ' disciples are the same as Britney's paparazzi.

jdeluca GOLD said...
jdeluca GOLD, Bedford, New York
100% correct and very well written. Where I live I try to say the same thing but in NY it is very hard to have a debate without a million people screaming at you. Bravo!