Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

November 15, 2009
By wickedreader BRONZE, Warmister, Pennsylvania
wickedreader BRONZE, Warmister, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
The purpose of our lives is to be happy.-- Dalai Lama


Gay marriage. It's not the question of whether you approve of gays or not. It's the question of your beliefs. I am not a particularly strong person of faith but when it comes down to it, I'm a Christian and I will follow what the Bible tells me and the Bible tells me that marriage is between a man, a woman, and Himself. Notice that man and man or woman and woman aren't mentioned in that formula. People think that it's silly to base your beliefs off of religion but isn't that what we are supposed to base our beliefs off of? We, as a society, have tried so hard to separate religion from everyday life, that we forget the meaning behind our actions. We are forgetting the roots in which we came from. We act like a bunch of heathens. I know we have to draw the line somewhere, we are, after all, a nation where you can practice whatever belief you want freely but allowing a gay couple to make the vows that are meant for a heterosexual couple under the name of God is just wrong to me.
I have gay friends and I know how strongly they believe in their rights but marriage isn't something that should be in the mix. I don't even think marriage is a government decision, frankly. Only God can recognize a marriage, not a government. Personally speaking, every couple should get a civil union issued from the government that entitles you to the basic rights of a marriage now, like sharing medical insurance or hospital visits. That would be that, and everybody would have equal rights. But if a man and woman want to get married in God's name they can go to a church and ask to be married. After those vows they can be man and wife. Simple. Yet, I know there will be people that still aren't happy. What these people don't realize is that this is an issue that they can't change. It is the word of God and God's will is final.

I know a lot of people won't like what I am saying but that is what makes this an opinion, the fact that not everyone will agree with me. I just want the other side to see where I'm coming from in hopes of coming to an agreement. Whether the world reaches one or not is not in my control, but I like to think that I'm contributing to the final decision.


The author's comments:
I hope that by writing this article that the homosexual population will better understand why so many people are opposed to gay marriage.