A Guide to: Facing the Adolescent Era | Teen Ink

A Guide to: Facing the Adolescent Era

October 8, 2009
By lindseysmith BRONZE, Medfield, Massachusetts
lindseysmith BRONZE, Medfield, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"live life with no regrets"


Babysitting is difficult work. Without a plan, sitters can become trapped in a house full of chaos. Children under the age of 13 are often egocentric, peevish, and unruly. Filthy dishes just do not clean themselves. Unlucky you. Crumbs soar out of dirty hands, leaving a messy trail. Disgusting. Toys scatter over every inch of carpet as if the flooring is part of a disappearing act. Therefore, if sitters do not want to find themselves hiding behind the couch, extracting single strands of hair out of their head, wishing they stayed home and watched a movie instead, they need to be armed with a course of action and prepare for the worst.

Prior to ringing the front doorbell, relax and realize that you are equipped with the “upper hand.” Even though little demons may wait inside, self-assurance is a key to success. This confidence will enhance your self-esteem and help keep the house under control. Remember to tote fabulous sticker prizes, favorite story books from childhood and a craft project so, in case boredom lingers in the air, the sitter will be prepared to entertain.
Upon arrival, politely introduce yourself and eagerly propose an entertaining game such as hide-and-seek to release energy out of a hyperactive body. If you maintain a lively flair, the young kids will feel more comfortable and open up to you quickly. By participating in action packed hide-and-seek tag, the clutter that toys produce is avoided. In addition, laughter will reverberate throughout the house after each child faces a challenge to slyly dash away from the seeker. After intense heart-racing rounds of cat-and-mouse, the children will be ready for a hardy dinner.

Before preparing the meal, set the youngsters up with a quiet craft or activity to free your hands. Drawing or painting is always a crowd pleaser. By engaging children with markers on the kitchen table, you can observe them expressing their imagination while swindling them into sitting peacefully. If the kids are stumped on what masterpiece to create, suggest drawing their favorite food or drink. Pondering a beloved dish will generate hunger pains. Meanwhile, when the soon to be artists are occupied, assemble a simple and healthy recipe from memory. Disregard the boxed Kraft macaroni and cheese and frozen, processed chicken nuggets. These meals will only lead to risk of a heart attack. A recipe such as chicken stir fry will not only wow the parents but also tempt the children’s taste buds and leave them asking for more. When cooking a stir fry meal, simply heat up brown rice in a pot, chop and toss broccoli into boiling water, and place soy sauce, bits of ginger, and chicken into a wok. While the food is sautéing, set the table, and in 20 minutes a perfectly nutritious dinner will be ready for hungry mouths.
Following a satisfying dinner, involve the children in an enjoyable clean-up process. Depending on their ages, either sing songs or initiate a game. For example, have a child pretend to be a waiter. The inexperienced table clearers will believe that they have the responsibility of an adult by being assigned to carefully position dirty plates in the dishwasher. Therefore, they will not only cooperate but also gain knowledge of a mature household task. This straightforward activity will save you time because you will not have to reorganize the kitchen after the children go to bed. Subsequently, reward the novel busboys with a delicious dessert.
For their hard work, allow the kids to choose a frozen treat. Reach for frozen yogurt in the fridge and set up a build-your-own sundae stand on the kitchen counter. Instead of gummy worms, sprinkles, and real whipped cream, lay out nuts, strawberries, and cool whip.

Incorporating healthy toppings will earn brownie points with the parents and, more importantly, train the adolescent minds to eat right.
After soaking the sticky bowls under hot water and then gently arranging them in the dishwasher, instruct the children to change into their pajamas. While they shift into nighttime
wear, depending on the time, either find an appropriate television show or select a movie out of their assortment. This quiet time will calm the fired up minds down and convert the evening into a more relaxed mood. When bedtime rolls around, ask each drowsy youngster to choose a short story to read before the lights are switched off. Uncover a comfy sofa in a neutral spot to avoid fights among the kids, and snuggle up and share in the bedtime literature together.
Finally, complete the bedtime rituals before saying goodnight. Organize a toothbrushing and washing session where the children finish required duties prior to drifting off into dreamland. This way, you are conscious of any individual slipping away without cleaning their grimy mouths and hands. Tuck each youngster in safely and respect personal wishes of how much or how little the light should shine. Furthermore, tiptoe throughout the house and reassemble or gather any item that might have been set out of place. Cleanliness is the key. Remember, every half-hour before the parents return, check on each child for safety’s sake.
If anxious sitters complete this plan, then they should successfully avoid stress. From the instant the front door is unlocked to the moment the car is launched into drive to race home, an individual must bear in mind that they are in control. If dealing with an attitude child, show composure. A caregiver is obligated to assign a time out to an untamable scoundrel or detract a valuable privilege like dessert. Any babysitter can create an ideal night
of remembrance for children of any age. Plus, a callback from the parents is practically guaranteed!

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece when I was babysitting one day and thought it may come in handy for some poor teenager!