Unfair Teen Curfews | Teen Ink

Unfair Teen Curfews

September 21, 2009
By torikep BRONZE, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
torikep BRONZE, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

September 21, 2009



Teen Ink
P.O. Box 30
Newton, Ma 02461

Dear Editor:


Teens that rush home to get to their destination by the time of the Pennsylvania state required curfew put their lives and the lives of others in great danger. The Pennsylvania state curfew doesn’t consider the activities that teens participate in. Movies, school dances, school sports etc, could possibly end after 11. Driving curfews for teens should be later than 11pm in the state of Pennsylvania.

According to car accidents.com reports have shown that, “Each year over 5,000 teens ages 16 to 20 die due to fatal injuries caused by car accidents.” “About 400,000 drivers age 16 to 20 will be seriously injured.” Tests have been proven that when you are rushing and worried about something you are less likely to pay attention to what is going on. Thus if a teen is driving home and constantly looking at the clock and focused on getting off the roads by 11pm they are less likely to pay attention to the road. Making the curfew later, it may cause some teens to stay at home more knowing that they can stay out later. It also may encourage more teens to get jobs, especially those who don’t like to miss time with their friends. By making the curfew later, it would allow kids to have more time to hang out after work. Most students who are able to drive participate in school sports and a game or practice could go past 11.

In other states such as Michigan and New York, the driving curfew is 12am. Why are teens in Pennsylvania teens treated like they are less responsible than the teens in other states that curfew is later? Even though the law has been this way for a very long time, times are changing, and this law needs to be re-considered to better fit the lifestyle of an active social teen.

Sincerely,



Tori K.