The Anti-Fur Movement's Influence | Teen Ink

The Anti-Fur Movement's Influence

June 25, 2009
By SarahM BRONZE, Dover, New Hampshire
SarahM BRONZE, Dover, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Have you ever seen anyone with a fur coat? Or leather shoes? Have you ever wondered what actually went into making those products? I think people should think twice before purchasing a fur or leather product. I don’t think those who wear them seriously consider the fact that they are contributing to a multi million dollar industry that promotes the murder of animals.
It is a very cruel process for animals such as mink and foxes to go from free, happy animal to a coat. First, the animal is taken from their habitats and thrown in cages barely big enough to stand in. Then, they are transported in trucks to a warehouse where the real torture begins.
The animals may be starved to death while awaiting their death. They may also be kicked or beaten if they are not quiet. Sometimes, the workers beat the animals for fun, according to many undercover investigations by numerous animal rights organizations. Once the animal is ready for skinning, it is dragged out of its cage and hung by its ankles in a huge iron machine that carries the helpless, scared animals farther down the warehouse. Once they have arrived, the worker begin literally skinning the animals alive. If they shriek or whine than their throats are cut.
After the animal has been mercilessly skinned , it is dropped down a chute where it lands on a mountain of other naked and dying animals. Most of the time, an animal is alive 5-10 minutes after being skinned, although it may actually suffocate under the weight of other animals being carelessly thrown down the chute.
Not only does fur promote the slaughter of animals, but it also takes up a lot of money! The average cost of a real fur coat is $1,999.00. I just don’t understand how people can be so arrogant...why can’t they try faux fur? It looks like the real thing, it’s cheaper, and most importantly, it’s cruelty free!
Thanks to many animal rights campaigns, such as PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) we have shed new light on the facts of animal cruelty. Younger and older people now are involved, unlike other organizations, were only the informed are involved. They send a very clear message through campaigns.
Some of the most famous (and controversial) ads come from PETA’s “I’d Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur” campaign. In these ads, PETA gets movie stars, television stars, and singers to pose completely nude to promote the anti fur movement. Celebrities such as Dita Von Teese (model), Rosario Dawson (actress), Holly Madison (model), and Khloe Kardashian (TV star) have starred in the ads. I think campaigns like these are effective because people may see someone influential that they look up to or want to be like in the ads, which might make them want to research the topic and maybe even join the movement.
I just can’t believe that someone could promote animal cruelty all for stupid fashion craze. Someone who wears fur and leather might say “Well, I paid a lot for this coat, and I intend to wear it.” What they fail to acknowledge is that the animal that thy are wearing paid a lot more. What the also fail to realize is that they are wearing a dead animal. You’ve got to be insane to think that looks good.
In closing, keep an open mind when shopping. Please be aware that what you may be putting on your body is a tortured animal.


The author's comments:
Everything in this piece is based on fact...I made none of this up to get a reaction. I got my info from many undercover investigations and papers.