The Lost Art of Presence | Teen Ink

The Lost Art of Presence

By 4buzzell BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4buzzell BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

“I need a picture for Instagram! This one would be cute for VSCO! Can we make a TikTok?” Technology and social media consume teenagers. Our focus has become showing off to our peers rather than connecting with them. 

Upon walking into a school, you see kids sitting on their phones instead of talking to each other face to face. In restaurants, teens try to get a perfect Instagram photo with friends, while millennials try to capture the perfect photo of their food for their story. Even at concerts, thousands of phones are in the air, with people watching through the screen rather than truly enjoying what is in front of them. 

We defend ourselves by saying that we are “capturing the moment” and “these are memories we want to look back on,” but if we are too focused on capturing the moment are we living in it? We say that “social media connects us” because “the whole world is at our fingertips,” but doesn’t it just distract us from the people right in front of us? We say that social media is used for “self-expression,” but are we expressing ourselves or focused on creating an online persona?

Technology and social media have many negative effects that are often overlooked. Social media has become a major distraction in our lives. We overthink the opinions of strangers. We compare ourselves to others, even though we know we are only seeing curated glimpses of their lives. Negative behaviors are showcased and normalized, causing them to extend into deeper parts of our lives. We collectively agree that we are experiencing “internet brain rot,” yet we don’t take action to fix it.

While technology is a valuable tool when used appropriately, many teenagers, including myself, find themselves in situations of overuse. However, suggesting that social media be completely eliminated is not a feasible change. Social media has become integrated into our lives and it isn’t just something that can be so easily given up. We rely on it, even if we don’t like to admit it. Social media does have its positive aspects– we can reach more people, connect to others worldwide, get fast updates from anywhere at any time, and have a place to self-express. These are all good things, but we need to be mindful of our use of social media.

The first step is to acknowledge the issue and take self-accountability. But acknowledging the issue and then continuing to scroll is not enough. We need to take action and we need to limit our social media use, especially when surrounded by others. Quiet can be good, but so can connection, so we need to be mindful of our usage. Social media or scrolling isn’t necessary when someone is in front of you. We need to allow ourselves to put down the phone and enjoy the moment. When alone, connection can be good, but so can quiet. Silence without technology allows us to think and reflect without distraction which can help us grow. Setting up screen times can be a helpful tool in limiting usage, but it won’t be if we continue to press the “ignore limit” button. 

Being the first to make the change is the hardest start, but a change can be made with self-discipline. If we collectively take steps to reduce social media usage, positive change is possible. By prioritizing genuine personal connections over social media interactions, we can reshape our relationship with technology and social media for a healthier balance.