The Simplest of Tasks | Teen Ink

The Simplest of Tasks

The simplest yet one of the most important tasks of your day; tying your shoe. Rylan Shaffer, Hartland, Wisconsin, is an expert at tying shoes. The simple task of tying a shoe is often overlooked, the elaborate process it takes to keep your sneakers on your feet is shockingly important. To start with the elaborate process, you will have with both shoes on your feet and the laces untied hanging off to the side. Once both laces are hanging off to the side, it is best to do one shoe at a time. Grab one lace off of one shoe with one hand, grab the other lace on that shoe with your other hand.  The process of tying a shoe is vital to not tripping over your own laces. Without the tying of the shoes, the chances of falling is greatly increased. 

When choosing shoes to lace, find shoes with medium to average length laces. If shoe laces are too short or long, you can purchase new laces for a small fee. Next in the process of tying your shoes, once the laces are in hand, take both laces and cross them over of each other. Once crossed, slip one end under the other, creating a simple knot on one of the shoes. The process of tying shoes is taught down from parent figures in your life, such as parents. With repetition will come memory. With memory, routine will come. Once you have created your simple knot, start with your Rabbit-Loop or, Rabbit “Ears”. The Rabbit-Loop will take both laces, create two circles, and tie them together to create a trusted knot. Once you have created your Rabbit-Loop, you’re almost complete when it comes to the process of tying shoes. 

The process of tying a shoe will become easier with every attempt. There are various steps that could be completed after the Rabbit-Loop, the most common is the double knot. The double knot is surprisingly easy. Take both Rabbit- “Ears”, and loop them around each other creating a new, sturdier  knot. You have officially completed your elaborate process of tying a shoe. One of the simplest, yet most important steps of your day.

This piece is focused on the task of tying your shoe, a simple yet vital task.