Prom Overrated? | Teen Ink

Prom Overrated?

By Cassy19 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
Cassy19 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

Is prom really worth the hype? 

Traditionally prom happens at the end of the school year. Many high schools have a prom for both juniors and seniors. This time is very hectic for seniors with post-secondary plans, senior activities, and graduation. 

For many, proms are an event that becomes one of the most memorable events in high school. Although proms are typically a fun experience, it comes with a hefty price. Over the last year's prom, there has been an increase in how much people spend on prom. BHS news writes,  “It is a very exciting night, even considered a rite of passage, but is spending upwards of almost $1,000 really worth it?” A lot of money goes into prom because you have to find what to wear, shoes, nails, hair, corsages, etc. 

Although now the average price for proms is roughly high there are still many ways to be able to attend prom and not pay such a hefty price. Like looking for dresses in your budget. Carpooling also saves money. As well as being able to have a relative or friends take your pictures instead of hiring someone else to do it. 

But the question is, is it all worth it for one night that only lasts a few hours? 

When prom started in the late 1800s it did not look as it does today. Prom originated only for college students. Harmel writes, “At first, they were only for college students and were usually a very sophisticated event; students would dress in their “Sunday best” and gather for tea and socializing.” Prom was used as a way for these students to have a social experience while looking fancy which many parents found very effective. When prom first started, they were only for the rich. As time went on. it was introduced to the high school level and since then has been a traditional event for juniors and seniors. 

How has prom changed over the years? 

Prom looks completely different now from the 1800s. The aesthetic of prom has drastically  changed. Now people care more about prom. Harmel writes, “People may spend weeks, months, or even years picking out the perfect outfit and spending as much money as they need to.” Now there is more planning that goes into this one night along with there is a lot more required now than before. 

Along with how much goes into planning for what will be worn on this very special night, proposals have become popular over the last few years. Promposals also come with a price to it that adds to how much overall is spent for this one event. Additionally, all these different-cost prom tickets themselves have a big price attached to them. In many cases, a lot of prom tickets are expensive due to the kind of venue being used for the event. Harmel writes, “Schools may choose to rent out a large, lavish space and justify it by charging anywhere from $20-$250 per ticket.”

Social media has heavily influenced what prom looks like today. Social media platforms in my opinion are the reason why prom is getting more expensive every year. This is due to renting cars, booking photographers and videographers, having prom send-offs, etc. We as a society feed off of what we see in the media and are easily attracted to what we’ve seen for ideas. Social media has made prom more to match the ideal prom that we see in many movies. 

Although prom only lasts a few hours, there are lots of after-parties that occur. These parties also come with a price as students have to find what they are going to wear. 

So it all comes down to whether is prom really worth the hype. 

The time that is put into just planning the prom looks alone is very time-consuming and may and can be stressful. In the long run, when we see the light in the tunnel and it is finally that day all the planning that went into this event will all be worth it. Prom is a night to remember. A good time with friends and maybe a partner. Prom definitely comes with a hefty price and time but it is definitely worth it in the end. Prom is an event to definitely attend as it is one of the last memories with your friends in high school. 

This piece is about prom as prom season is quickly approaching