I Can Do it Too | Teen Ink

I Can Do it Too

June 17, 2009
By Jessica Kenneally BRONZE, Pittsfield, New Hampshire
Jessica Kenneally BRONZE, Pittsfield, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I can do it too


When people tell me that I can’t do something, I show them that I can. Being a girl and interested in cars is a hard thing to overcome by most people, because “girls don’t work on cars”, well this girl does. Growing up I was never interested in playing with dolls, I was more interested in playing with the little cars, and Tonka trucks in the sand. To this day I would rather go mudding or work on cars instead of going shopping.

It’s the feeling of success when you hear the car that hasn’t been working for a while, working, it’s the feeling of grease on your hands; it’s the feeling that makes you proud of yourself. This is exactly how I feel when I work on cars. I love being able to learn new things by asking questions or by having the opportunity to have hands on. The only bad side of this is people criticizing me because I am a girl and they don’t think automotive is a place for me. I still don’t understand what the big deal is, and I guess I never will, that is until someone explains it to me without using “Just because.”

When I was given the opportunity to go to an automotive class I took it. It was a place where I learned something’s, most of the things I did learn my mom’s boyfriend taught me. My parents were happy that I was going for something that I liked. My dad was against it at first, but it wasn’t going to stop me. The class I took was not as successful as I thought, yes it is a good program but when people start in on the sexist comments like “You’re going to let a girl work on that car” made me realize what I was in for. After having multiple guys in the class saying this made me chose to drop the course and pick it up later after I graduate from high school. It bothered me to drop it but at the same time I didn’t think there was a point to keep going if they were going to continue with the comments. I don’t feel like I gave up because I’m still going to go into automotive. Yes I am a girl, but I can do whatever I put my mind to, and that’s automotive.