Time for Naptime | Teen Ink

Time for Naptime

June 12, 2009
By Jeremy Kogan BRONZE, Hartsdale, New York
Jeremy Kogan BRONZE, Hartsdale, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You wake up at 6:30 AM every day. You take the train to work trying not to fall asleep on the way. Slowly, you walk to your office and sit in your comfy, black chair. You work ‘til seven o’clock at night, then walk back to the train station. On the train, accidentally you fall asleep. The stop before yours someone gets off the train, carrying his suitcase with him. As that person walks by, his suitcase hits you in the back of the head. You wake up with a start, and keep your eyes wide until your stop.

Don’t you think that if you had a time in the day when you were allowed to go to sleep, life wouldn’t be as miserable? If you are tired, you deserve to go to sleep. To avoid this misery, everyone should be allowed to go to sleep in the middle of the day. Even though naps can cause people to go to sleep later, they would be a huge benefit to society,

Taking naps, generally, feels good. I know this from my professional experience. Almost everyday, after I get home from school, I crawl up on my couch and take an hour to two-hour nap. After, I feel much better—like I have been replenished, and have made brand new. I feel full of life. Naps are highly pleasurable experiences.

Not only do naps just feel good, but they are also good for you. William Anthony, a psychologist at Boston University, uses a long beige couch to make his naptime studies. He has concluded that naps increase productivity and sharpen senses. Also, naps lift your spirits (The healthy benefits of midday napping on MedicineNet.com). It is a common thought that taking a snooze in the middle of the day can cause you to go to sleep later at night. But this isn’t necessarily true. Studies conducted at Henry Ford Hospital's Sleep Disorders and Research Center in Detroit have shown that sleep is “clearly beneficial to someone who is a normal thinker but who is getting insufficient sleep at night” (The healthy benefits of midday napping on MedicineNet.com). Napping is healthy for both the mind and the spirit.

You may feel that if you take a nap, you will be called lazy and unproductive. This, although, is positively not true. Some of the most famous and most productive people in world history often took naps. These people include Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci, and John F. Kennedy and many more (Napping Benefits). Would you call Leonardo Da Vinci unproductive? Naps can make you more productive and alert as these successful men were. Snoozing is recommended because it keeps people focused and makes sure that they stop drooling on their desks.

Many European countries take a resting period in the late afternoon day. Spain has a snooze-period in their country that is widely know as the siesta. During the siesta in Spain, many of the stores and businesses close from around two o’clock p.m. to four o’clock p.m.. The bars and restaurants close from approximately five o’clock p.m. to eight or nine o’clock p.m.. Often during these times of the day, families eat a long lunch and take an essential nap afterwards. Although it is hard for people to find time to take naps in their busy lives, many people do their best to squeeze in a small rest (Siesta in Spain – Do the Spanish Still Take a Siesta – The Spanish Siesta Today). Because the siesta in Spain works, a siesta in America can work. In fact, businesses in America, such as Google, have offices that contain sleep pods and massage parlors. Whenever a worker gets too exhausted, they can go to a sleep pod and rejuvenate by taking a nap (Sleep Pods). The resting pods in office buildings are our first steps to having a more productive America.

Sleeps can be a great benefit to everybody. Both workers and students should have the chance to take a break from their vocations and rest in the afternoon. If you think you go to sleep too late, then maybe your body could use some extra sleep. Try taking a thirty-minute nap around two o’clock p.m.. I guarantee you; this will make you feel much better.

“Yawwwwwnnnnn!!!” Now that you’ve finished reading about sleep, doesn’t it make you sleepy? It sure makes me. Time to take my nap…













Works Cited
"The healthy benefits of midday napping on MedicineNet.com." 29 May 2009 .
"Napping Benefits." Healthcentral.com - Trusted, Reliable and Up To Date Health Information. 1 June 2009 .
"Siesta in Spain - Do the Spanish Still Take a Siesta - The Spanish Siesta Today." Spain Travel Guide | Your Guide to Spain Travel. 5 June 2009 .
"Sleep Pods." Sleepweb.com. 11 June 2009 .