Purpose In Life | Teen Ink

Purpose In Life

June 5, 2009
By islandlakatu SILVER, New London, Connecticut
islandlakatu SILVER, New London, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

What is my purpose in life? What am I on earth for?



These questions are asked by many teenagers today. It wasn’t until today that I tried to find the answer to the question.



I got home from the gym went into the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror for about ten to fifteen minutes and the first thing that popped in my head was, “What is my purpose in life?” I stand there and just question myself for a quiet long time.

See I have had these questions in my head for a long time; as soon as I hit thirteen, these questions come running through my mind.

It wasn’t until I got in the shower that the real thoughts came in my mind; is my purpose to live and praise and teach gods words? Is my purpose to join a cluster of barbaric teenagers and run around and do all kinds of juvenile things? I can go on and go on about the list of things I have put in my mind. This question leads so many teenagers and kids to wrong corners of life and led them too the wrong path.

“I hate my life!”; “Why am I here?”

I heard this so many times from my own friends and cousins and even people I don’t know, in fact it even came out my own mouth.

Are these statements and questions related to the purpose of life? Without knowing this question how do we know weather we deserve to live and ((or)) just slack off in life.



I learned that life isn’t just about that one simple question and instead of turning it into something big why not work towards getting that purpose. Those purposes maybe nonexistent but why waste your time anyways? Its how life is and its how god made us. Instead of slacking off you can be in school getting your good grades and doing something with your life. The question “What is my purpose in life” doesn’t make you, you make it. If you let that question drive you up a mountain and leave you at the merge of a cliff and your ‘bout ready to jump off; than you don’t know the true meaning of the question. For a better image I look at the question as a rhetorical question. It is like a stupid question that any more than one person can answer; they just don’t know yet, they’re lost. Many young people these days can’t wait to grow up, they can’t wait to get there hands on the driving wheel or even get to go clubbing and dance the whole night away. My main reason why I want to just grow at my regular age pace is because I want to live life and learn about it and after I learn about it I live it. You might be thinking I’m getting off the subject but think about it all the things I’m stating in this piece is all connected to the question. The question doesn’t form anything; you’re supposed to be the one forming it.



“What is my purpose in life?”



My purpose in life is to live, learn, grow, and absorb any and every (thing). I made a vow to myself that I will not let this question bother me but I will work towards the true real purpose of my life.

See; Just because you don’t know the question that the only person knows is god, you don’t have to bother yourself about it because it’s just the simple answer as, “My main purpose in life is to grow and to learn and to make myself a better person.”

That’s when you truly learn the answer of the question, which seems to bother many teenagers up to this day.

Learn it, Live it, absorb it!