Is the Penny Useless in Today's Society? | Teen Ink

Is the Penny Useless in Today's Society?

May 22, 2009
By Dillon Smith BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Dillon Smith BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Is the Penny Useless in Today’s Society???


In today’s society, the penny is really a huge hassle to deal with, when your at the gas station and you need ten cents to buy a pack of gum and you know you have a dime and in the way of that dime are six or seven pennies. It drives you insane, doesn’t it? Low and behold, after reaching in your pocket for fifteen seconds starting to feel awkward because everyone behind you is ready to pay, but now you have found the dime.

In source C, it stated very clearly that “it takes nearly a dime today to buy what a penny bought back in 1950.” We all know this to be true. Honestly, what does a penny have to offer in our life? The answer is it has nothing to offer. When you go to your favorite fast food place, what is it that you see? A dollar menu, not a penny menu, a dollar menu, the penny is left outside on the cold, damp ground by the sewer while you’re inside eating something from the dollar menu, and not to say the dollar isn’t struggling, but the penny has past its time.

In source B, it is said that “it has swagger”. Yes, it used to have swagger, but face it, my father used to have swagger in high school…not anymore. The penny is simply a burden in everyone’s pocket, and I have nothing against Abraham Lincoln or the color of the penny, I only have a bone to pick with its value. The penny has not one bit of value, when you’re at a store and you’re short one cent, the person at the cash register isn’t going to say, “Go away!” They will either give you a penny or heck, just look on the ground and you will find a penny. If by chance you do not find one, I’m sure someone will lend you one cent.

“The new pennies will feature four new designs on the reverse side of the coins…” taken from source F. This quote made me sick. Why in the world would you spend money of designing something that’s going to be thrown in a fountain or off a cliff or even at someone just for the amusement of it? I guess the people with this idea have more pennies than they have “cents”, even if a penny is on heads, most people would not pick it up because picking it up would require too much effort. What if you were to throw your back out picking up a penny? Yeah, I bet it was worth it! Now you better have a lot of pennies for that doctor bill you will receive, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the doctor won’t take pennies.