The | Teen Ink

The

By Sarah Marlin BRONZE, Bellaire, Ohio
Sarah Marlin BRONZE, Bellaire, Ohio

The “r-word”

“R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me.” Does everyone know that song? Well it’s about respect, which brings me to my opinion. My opinion is about people using the “r-word.” And how I think its wrong, rude, and disrespectful.

Most importantly, they are just like us – human. They are normal people. You wouldn’t like it if you had a disability and people picked on you. Every time you say it you’re hurting someone.

Next, I don’t like it when say the “r-word” because I have family like that and im sure everyone else does also or at least know somebody that has a disability.

Also, I think people with disabilities deserve respect they are not any different from you or me. One of my mom’s co-workers of belco works that has a disability says to the newspaper “We deserve respect we are just like you.” On march 31st the day we tried ending the word, but as I walk down the halls of my school and the streets of my town I still hear people using that word.

I just wish people would understand and make this word come to an end! If one-person stops maybe more and more will, please help us all end the “r-word.”

This means alot to me.