What Libraries Mean to Me | Teen Ink

What Libraries Mean to Me

Imagine what Aladdin felt when he first stepped into the Cave of Wonders- seeing the world’s most valuable treasures, riches beyond his wildest dreams. He must have had an impulse to bring home anything he could carry, but no- it was against his orders. So he probably just stared, dumbfounded, at all the gold, silver, and jewels in the gigantic cave. Those are my exact feelings every time I go to a library.
Ever since I learned how to read, books have been my biggest pleasure. Whenever I walk into a library, I’ll stay there glued to its “treasures” for at least an hour and a half. At home, I even try to read my books faster, so I can come to the library sooner.
Libraries are the only place in the world where I can let my imagination loose, work with the author of a book and, together, find a happy ending to the story. It’s the only place where I can sit back, relax, and fly in a magic carpet, help fight Ancient Greek monsters, or even help cook for a feast- underwater.
Some people could live without libraries, reading, or books just fine- I’m not one of those people. So, if someone ever asks me: “Hey, Clara, what do libraries mean to you?” one word alone could describe it. Everything.