Twins | Teen Ink

Twins

By Miranda Mayer BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Miranda Mayer BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

Okay let me explain to you a couple of things about being a twin. 1st thing sharing stinks. 2nd thing I am Miranda, I have never been Alexis nor will I ever be Alexis. The 3rd and final thing you should know about being a twin sharing stinks.
I was once an only child I bet you didn't know that, that 1 minute between the time I was born and the time Alexis was coming out that was a great minute.
Okay here is the thing about being a twin first I'll list to you the 5 downsides to being a twin then the 5 upsides.

Downside number one- You have to share a lot of stuff when your younger like a room, clothes, *cough* identity whoa where did that come from? that was weird. Toys, clothes, etc. etc.

Downside number two- the non-stop mixing up of names, sometimes I kinda forget who I am, but that's okay I have come to respond to the name Miranda and Alexis, and if you don't know which one I am I also respond to "hey you" whichever one you prefer.

Downside number three- Now here is a little story, the other day Alexis and I walked into a store somebody asked us if we were twins we of course said yes and went on our way but the person asked us what it was like to be a twin. My response in person "oh well its okay I guess it can be fun sometimes". my response in my mind "oh dear Lord baby Jesus not again, how am I supposed to know what its like to not be a twin that's all I have ever been, when have I ever not been a twin? what if all of us twins went around asking people oh is this your brother? or sister? oh what's it like to have a brother or sister that isn't your age? You know what we don't ask that because its not accepted in our society its creepy. Why is it okay for random strangers to ask you if your a twin but its not okay for twins to ask a random stranger if they have a sibling? Its not! that's why its creepy it may not be creepy to the person asking but it is to the person receiving the question.

Downside number 4- When your a twin you tend to become very possessive of your items and if they are yours they are yours. Now here is the twin's creed to elaborate on that fact: If I want it it's mine. If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine. If I can take it away from you it's mine. If it's mine, it will never belong to anyone else, no matter what. If we are building something together all the pieces are mine. If it looks like mine, it's mine.

Downside number five- You have to fight it's the law you see when you are born you are given a handbook on how to be a twin and the 3rd rule in the book is that you have to fight, actually we only fight in public because we have to if we didn't have to we wouldn't.

Being a twin isn't always bad, actually being a twin has a lot more upsides than it does downsides, but us twins like to complain about it a lot so we make it sound a lot worse than it actually is. Now here is a list of the 5 upsides to being a twin.

Upside number one- Its pretty cool to have a clone, like people always wonder what their clone would look like I don't because I already know.

Upside number two- You are never alone, going into grade school sucked a lot we were both crying and I mean you don't really have any hope when both you and your sister are crying and you turn to your mother for support and she is crying to. So it was comforting having someone there with you and knowing that they aren't leaving like your mother.

Upside number three- It's really fun to play tricks on people

Upside number four- you have the same interest like we both love neon colors, and we love to hang out with our friends on Friday night, and we both find the movie Shrek hilarious.

Upside number five- You have that security knowing that there is one person in your life that will never leave you, and you can always talk to them about anything regardless how dumb or stupid it may be.

So you can see being a twin it pretty great and well not so great at the same time so if you would like to get on the good side of a twin always remember their name, don't ask them creepy questions, and remember they are a completely different person then their twin is.

on Feb. 28 2013 at 4:15 pm
Elizabeth Scott, Lakewood, Colorado
I'm a twin, too! You are right about all of those things! There are many different  opinions about being twins, and yours was the first that was exactly like me and my sister's case! Pretty interesting if you ask me! :D :D