What Should Be The Penalty For Teenage Shoplifters? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Shoplifting is a crime often associated with teenagers, although there are many adult offenders. Not only with shoplifting, but with many crimes, teenagers get away unpunished because of their age. Well, I think that the law has been taking "I didn't know" and "But he/she is only a child" for too long.

I believe that on the first offense a teenager should get off with a warning, but he/she will have a temporary record which will be erased in three months. During those three months, if that teenager should commit another crime, the record will become permanent and he/she shall spend one night in jail. If that person commits yet another offense after the second three month probation, his three month permanent record will be renewed again with a note that on the third offense he will be treated more harshly, perhaps as an adult.

Teenagere should take responsibility for their actions.n