Do Not Disturb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

On one occasion, we talked about the difference between wasting time and spending time.

I was the first to speak.

"To spend time is to pass it in a specified manner." We are spending it during lessons just as we are spending it now in conversation. To waste time is to expand it thoughtlessly or ceaselessly. We all have time as divided into infinite moments or transactions or contacts.

Anyone who steals my time is stealing my life because they are taking my existence from me. As I get older, I realize that time is the only thing I have left.

So when someone comes to me with a project, I estimate the time it will take me to do it and then I ask myself: Do I want to spend weeks or months of what little time I have on this project? Is it worth it or am I just wasting my time? If I consider the project time-worthy, I do it.

Do Not Disturb.

Life unfolds on a great sheet called time, and once finished it is gone forever. n

Flora said...

This is so real!!

But sometimes you think something is worth it when in the end it's not