Force-Fed Salt | Teen Ink

Force-Fed Salt MAG

You know, just once, I'd like to read an outside reading book for English and enjoy it.

Just once, I'd like to be able to read from one end of the book to the other and not have to stop every chapter for a "journal entry."

And maybe, just maybe, I'd like the book.

If you ask any teenager, you'll find the majority are required to read some outside books for their English class. Fine and dandy; but how are you supposed to read a book and worry about what symbolizes what, what's ironic, what images foreshadow the upcoming whatever...

I find it very frustrating to have to read a book that I find dull and boring. I find it even more aggravating when I'm required to read a book that I'm supposed to be nitpicking and picking out every single piece of symbolism, imagery, etc., that I cannot understand!

I wonder if English teachers realize that they're not doing their good deed for the day when they force-feed their students "classic" novels jam-packed with every device of writing imaginable and expect them to learn something. Surprise, kiddies, all it does is boggle your mind and cause endless agonies and confusion.

Even more exasperating is when English teachers think they're doing us a favor and read the book with us during class time. Haven't you ever heard the snores? They tear what could have been a semi-interesting novel apart and grind it into fine salt grains for us to eat with our lunch. Little do they know that the salt is indigestable.

So, a few words of wisdom to the English teachers: force-fed salt is almost always regurgitated without even being chewed.n