The Opinion Of Heavy Metal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am writing to defend heavy metal music. I listen to groups like Motley CrPIe, Aerosmith, and Led Zeppelin. I am sick and tired of hearing people putting down my music. It seems to me that metal gets the most criticism. Adults, especially the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center) say that heavy metal music is a bad influence on the people who listen to it. This, in my opinion, is a bold-faced lie. Many artists write music telling kids that drugs and crime are not anything to get mixed up in. Motley CrPIe and Aerosmith, for instance, have recently been through extensive drug rehabilitation programs, Ozzy Ozbourne from his self-titled group has been a patient in the Betty Ford Clinic, also.

I do, however, admit that there are a lot of metal groups that use and abuse drugs, but so do other types of bands. This is an example of heavy metal lyrics (by Motley CrPIe from the album Dr. Feelgood, "Kickstart My Heart"):

When I get high

I get high on speed

Top fuel funny car's

The drug for me

My heart, my heart

Kickstart my heart

Always got the cops

Coming after me

Custom built bike doing 1-0-3

My heart, my heart

Kickstart my heart . . .

1989 Motley CrPIe Music/Sikki Nixx

Music (Mick Mars Music, BMI)

Motley CrPIe, however, is not the only metal group concerned with current issues. Aerosmith's song "Janie's Got a Gun" is about a young girl molested by her father. Other metal bands also write deep thinking songs with special meanings.n