A Look Ahead To Election /*92 | Teen Ink

A Look Ahead To Election /*92 MAG

By Anonymous

   It may seem hard to believe, but iPresidential election 1992 is coming up. This race will prove to be one of the most interesting in a long time, with Republicans trying to keep their hold on the White House and the Democrats trying to get a hold on the White House.

President Bush has been riding a post-Gulf War wave of popularity, with public opinion polls showing an approval rating of over 70%, one of the highest approval rates for any president. It will be hard for the other candidates, especially Democratic candidates, to sway support to their side. The Republicans will constantly raise the issue of the war's success, and it will be hard for the Democrats to try to criticize the decision to take action against Iraq. They will most likely attack George Bush's seemingly weak domestic policies.

The Republicans have enjoyed a monopoly on the White House for eleven years. It will be interesting to see whether or not they can win again in '92. The two parties have alternately had long periods of being in power. Prior to Reagan's win in 1980, the Democrats had more success getting the office of Chief Executive.

Many experts believe that the main reason for the Democrats' continual failure to capture the White House is their policy of levying taxes. Most Americans feel as though they have already been taxed to death. That, paired with their conservative defense policy will make them have their work cut out for them in 1992. The Republicans will bring up the fact that the Democrats opposed the Gulf War and had previously opposed Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative, from which the Patriot missile came.

In the unlikely instance that George Bush doesn't run for another term as President (if he perhaps gets struck by lightning), some early possibilities for Republican candidates include Senators Bob Dole and Jack Kemp. A couple of "maybes" for Democratic candidates are Governor Cuomo (NY) and Governor Wilder (VA). Some have even mentioned General Schwartzkopf, even though he says he has no immediate plans for a political career. All in all, election '92 will be one to watch. n

Editor's Note Since this article was written, five Democratic candidates have entered the race.