Racism | Teen Ink

Racism MAG

It seems that everything you read or hear, nowadays, is related to racism. I have been listening to some talk-shows and read a few articles on the subject and have come to a conclusion: racism is based on ignorance. The main reason people are prejudiced is because they are not educated on the matter. For example, most people who dislike Afro-Americans grew up being taught this. They were influenced by their parents and have always assumed that Afro-Americans are below their level of intelligence. If they had realized that blacks were just as human as white people, they probably would not be as discriminatory. Unfortunately racism seems similar to religion in that it is almost impossible to change the minds of committed people. I believe that if young children are educated on the subject at an early age through television and school, racism will decrease dramatically.

It is unfortunate that something as foolish as racism is still around in the United States, a country made up of so many different people and cultures. Something has to be done about the problem if the country wants to survive. n

Tunisino said...
Your way of writing is pretty good yet, your article isn't deep @ all. For instance, you didn't focus well on sources of racism and solutions, you just gave one example for each. Secondly, to write an article (a good one) i think you must mention ways of racism, and by who is it exercised. Racism is stereotyped as a fact being exercised on blacks only, however it is not true.Even blacks do have some kind of racism towards white people and none can deny it. Thirdly, you could say that calling blacks by afro-americans is itself a racist word, because first of all, black is a color as well as white or yellow or brown, so it is neither a shame nor a discrimination to call someone black. and on the second hand, blacks exists everywhere, in all continents(asia;yemen or america;barbados; australia ...), it is true that they mainly exist in Africa but do not forget that north africans are white people, so saying afro-american is like saying by a hidden way "an afro-american is an american black man\woman but he just originated from Africa so he didn't originated from america which means Africa is the source of blacks and america is originally a country of white people", while it is all false because in america, there exist countries of black people like barbados ... In Short, you must be more precise and present solutions as well as instances to let the reader impressioned by your work I'd really like to subscribe and write my personal ideas and thoughts throughout this website, but since i'm not a u.s. citizen, i'm not able for it. By the way, I am Tunisian

ThePieOfLife said...
Very True.

Kenna_Chaos BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
i see your point. i did an article on racism too.

its stupid that we still have it. i hate that it

still goes on in other countries... so is slavery.

our world will never be perfect or happy.

phat01 said...
i love this website