Racial Fights This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When we were young it didn't matter who we hung around with as long as the group didn't get us into trouble. That changed when I got to high school. It was my freshman year. I was going there with a positive attitude, thinking everyone was going to get along. Wrong! It was a regular day at school; everything was fine until lunch, when a fight broke out. It was blacks against whites and vice versa. The story spread to the newspaper. It was blown out of proportion. People were afraid to come near Somerville.

When we came back to school, our teachers informed us that we had to wear picture IDs. People have calmed down, but we still have to wear the IDs. Now instead of showing their feelings, students walk around with a chip on their shoulder. After that so-called "racial fight," things have not been the same. n

ummmm said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 10:36 am:
were u involved in the fight

agsmiley888 said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm:
i see what you mean, but i dont think i can relate to that, personally i think it has to do with were you live, for example maybe in the south that would be a great problem. But personally in NY there arent many fights sbout that. But i see your point, there are some people that actually think and are ignorant like that, and believe that they are racially superior, but i think that in a situation like that all we can do is walk away.