The Love Of Writing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Love of Writing

by J. M., Yonkers, NY

My love of writing comes from the power it gives me to be the director of my own movie, using the page as my movie screen. When I write, it's as if I'm watching pictures on a screen parade before my eyes, and the picture that you, the reader, sees is all up to me.

I'm the one who decides whether or not you will see the beads of sweat explode off the boxer's face as the knockout blow is struck. I'm the one who tells you that the pupils of the criminal's eyes dilated when the overworked detectives shone the bright light into his eyes. It's me who makes the main character show a face of heart-wrenching suffering as he sees his longtime love in the arms of another man. I'm the who controls what your mind will see in each succeeding scene.

I enjoy utilizing the control you give me over your mind the minute you pick up this page to read the first paragraph. How could anyone not love this power that is entrusted to those who pick up the pen?