I'M A Resident At... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I'm a Resident at ...

by Anon., Westboro, MA

I'm a resident at Westboro Secure Treatment. I'm 16 years old and evenually I will attend a public high school. That's where I'll be going when I leave this place. In my free time I like to play basketball, talk to girls, chill with my friends, and go different places.

Well, the reason I'm writing this is because I want kids who are having problems understanding that being locked up is not something you want in your life. Being in D.Y.S. (Department of Youth Services)is like having a bad dream, but you just haven't woken up yet to see the light of day. I made a big mistake in my life so I'm trying to deal with it in the best way I know how. I promised myself that I wouldn't let what caused me to get locked up stop me from accomplishing the things I want. I hope to be a better and productive person.

So, kids, please don't throw your life away. Make a difference in the world and show people that you can be successful. You can achieve anything you want if only you put your mind to it!

Don't be a follower. Be a leader! That will get you far in life!!