Gee, Guns Are Cool This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Gee, Guns Are Cool by L. M., Lynn, MA

One day when I was walking to my history class a huge gold charm around some kid's neck caught my eye. (I don't see how I could have missed it, the thing was about the size of Texas.) When I realized what the decoration depicted, I nearly fainted. Some crazy jeweler had carved this defenseless piece of gold into the shape of a semi-automatic weapon. As I passed him, I stared at the kid, and without realizing it, gave him a dirty look. The kid looked back at me and laughed as if guns were nothing but a joke. (Well, excuse me for not laughing at things that kill people.)

When I got to my class, I sat down, disgusted. The first question that I asked myself was, How can that kid be allowed to wear that in school when my friend once got in trouble for wearing cut-off jeans? I quickly realized that ornaments like these are so commonplace that no one cares any more. This idea was confirmed when I told some friends and a teacher what I had seen. They all said something to the effect of, "Relax, at least it wasn't a real gun."

What's happening here? How can people continue to extol guns and then wonder why there's so much violence in America? The fact is that if you allow people to glorify guns, you're glorifying them, too.

Now I am just as in favor of freedom of expression as anyone else, but by allowing this kid to display a piece of jewelry that advocates killing, that's just what our school administrators are doing; advocating killing.

Patboy said...
I'm sorry but i don't think guns are a laughing matter so that is the reason that i don't like your article sorry though.

ojrbandgirl19 said...
And then we wonder why kids think it is okay to play around with weapons, or wear charms depicted as them. Guns have become such a common sight in life today that people just brush it off their shoulders as if the sight of one means nothing. As if the shot of one couldn't kill you in an instant. The fact that schools especially allow even jewelry or clothing that display guns is unacceptable! There have been numerous and tragic, FATAL school shootings throughout the years. It is sad and fri... (more »)