Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not get away with these severe crimes.

The death penalty would also make people more secure. In some countries of South America and the Far East, they have very severe penalties, including flogging, for even minor crimes. People in some areas of our nation feel they cannot walk around or step outside their houses for fear of criminals. In other countries, however, you would rarely see laws being broken because the penalties are so stern. The United States is one of the most lenient countries in the world as far as discipline. If we had the death penalty, all people would be able to use the streets even in troubled areas.

Another reason we should use this is to set an example to all criminals. Some criminals who have committed many violent crimes (robbery, rape, and murder) are walking the streets like normal citizens because we are much too lenient on them. If the death penalty is instituted, there would not be as many daring and violent crimes as there are presently. Our present laws are much too "soft" on criminals. We need to get stricter.

In closing, I would like to add that this law would make a major difference. It would make our streets safer, people more secure, and make a better world to live in. The death penalty is a definite plus for our society as a whole.

What do you think? ?

tennis4life said...
Feb. 23 at 10:49 am
it should be banned, who are we to take life away from someone. According to the US constitution it says that every american has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If we are all guaranteed life, then we should not take it away from people

will said...
Jan. 28, 2015 at 10:13 am
It should be banned

junella30 said...
Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:03 am
Based on this death penalty issue, I believe that it is somewhat a good way for criminals to be aware of there actions. They should understand that there is a major consequence after committing a crime. However, I also believe that it shouldn't be allowed or opposed. Why? Because who are we too murder or kill the criminals. That would make us a killer too. I also believe that only God has the right to deal with the criminals.

bobby#1 said...
Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:58 am
death penalty should be kept for the idiots who want to do stupid stuff and they get put in jail. then when they get out of jail they do stupid stuff again and they get the death penalty thats how life works if u wanna be a screw up...

debator replied...
i love the idea of a death penalty we would be much much much safer in the world why not make them suffer the way the victum did why not let there family grief liek the victims did why not let them die like a victim did let them SUFFER a way a victim did !!! 

debator101 replied...
the death penaly is good and bad but don't let the person or victum suffer or i will make you suffer

kfresh replied...
Feb. 22, 2016 at 10:45 am
nah it should be banned period.

bootymuncher said...
gbgxfyufvsgcdgsftgyZDczYftcfdnud

sweetnessxx said...
Why should a group of people who are only in power because they happen to have been born into privalege get to decide whether a person deserves to live or die? The murderers are those in power sending soldiers into other countries to kill innocent civilians.. Will these people ever get the death penalty? Or is it more likely to be the person born into poverty who turns to crime as a way to keep himself fed and sheltered while billions are being spent on war. The government needs to loo... (more »)

kelsee727 said...

Ahh. The lovely death penalty discussion. My whole English class got into a heated debate on this topic. There are 20 students in my English class and all but one is for the death penalty. I believe that the death penalty should not be banned. I'm all for it. The people who do the crimes have a choice. Not to perform the crime(s) or to perform the crime(s). When they choose to perform the crime they are also choosing to accept the discipline they receive. Even if they really don't consider th... (more »)

kelsee727 replied...
Their* fault. Gosh. I'm always getting on people with there, their, and they're. Now I go and do it. That just ruined my entire comment.

Aspiringauhor replied...

Actually, it is a proven fact that crime rates have not decreased with the death penalty in effect.

Also, don't worry about the "there/their/they're" thing. Bunches of people on here do worse. :)

tennis4life replied...
Feb. 23 at 10:54 am
i agree with @Aspiringauhor,

Jesusisalive said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:46 am
We should totally have the death penalty. Do child molesters deserve to live? They may have just ruined a child's life. They did something DISGUSTING. Rapists don't deserve to live. Do murderers deserve to live? NO! They took someone else's life so why should they get to keep theirs? Even if the do get a life sentence, it still isn't just because they are still alive while they left their victim's family grieving and seeking true justice for the murder. Plus, even God had laws that people should... (more »)

Aspiringauhor replied...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 7:20 am
Before you make such an opinionated comment, make sure everything you wrote was spelled right!!!

Jesusisalive replied...

oops. I guess I should have made sure I spelled that right, but still it is not the spelling that really counts in my post. It was the point I was trying to make

Aspiringauhor replied...
Okay. Although I am of a different opinion about the death penalty, I applaud you for admitting to your mistake(s)... So many people on here can't do that! :)

Aspiringauhor said...
I've looked through the comments before actually posting my own, something I prefer to do. And I've noticed this. Many of the people who are arguing for the death penalty are not looking at it in the right way. They are viewing it from afar. I suggest trying to view it as if it was happening to you. Okay. Here goes. Your mom murdered your neighbor because your dad was cheating on your mom with your neighbor (totally hypothetical and, I admit, extreme). When your mom goes to court, they sentence ... (more »)

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

First of all you don't know the law if that's your hypothetical situation. You're not put to death simply for murder. If you murder a police officer, then yes, most likely you will be sentenced to death. But other than that the death sentence is only given for the most heinous crimes and only given to those (the majority of the time) with no chance of possible rehabilitation.

So, start smiling, the mom who killed her cheating husband's lover won't be put to death! :D

Aspiringauhor replied...
The death penalty is not a joking matter. It's someone's life on the line. And in other comments you insulted my opinion so why should I listen to yours now? (Although to be fair I am obligated to do so.) Actually, you can be put to death for murder. There's first degree, second degree, and third degree. If you commit first degree murder, you can be sentenced to death. For it to be first degree murder, though, there has to be a specific number of aggravating factors in the situation. In each sta... (more »)