Daily Life of a Psychiatrist | Teen Ink

Daily Life of a Psychiatrist

September 24, 2019
By liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California
liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let the opinions of others consume you"


How does one become a psychiatrist? To become a psychiatrist, you have to have these skills. Excellent listening, communication, stress tolerance, inspire trust and confidence, and prescribing medication. Those are the most important skills to have to be a psychiatrist. Without these skills, you wouldn’t be a very successful as wanting to become a psychiatrist. I dream to be a psychiatrist for numerous reasons. The world needs to be a better place, and becoming a psychiatrist would be a huge lift from our worries. 


As a psychiatrist, they deal with many people with mental illness, addictions, mood disorders, and other mental health issues. In some cases, they deal with similar situations where a person doesn't have a person to communicate with on the daily. Because of this, in their minds they see that nobody wants to befriend them. With this mindset, it's a big problem to society because many would feel suicidal, and not feel worthy to live anymore. Just by this, I’ve seen the frequency of school shootings from different states or cities worldwide on the news. This matters to the community, so students don’t have to feel unsafe about going to their schools. Just a simple “Hey” would brighten up someone's day and make any bad thoughts go away. 


In order to make this happen, I would need to follow the skills.  Without communication there’s no way you’re able to comfort and help their problem. When you’re listening to every detail and pay attention, they will finally realize that someone is willing to just sit and listen. Having stress tolerance is not a good sign for the patients because most patients are too shy and scared to share that part of themselves. Getting mad about how long they’re taking to open up, would not help get them out of their shell. When the patients are slowly giving you information about their situation, eventually you’re inspiring trust and confidence for them to confide in you. As progress is starting to show, everything new going on in their lives or within themselves, they can tell you spot on because they trust you with this information. While giving them the medicine they’ll need, they’ll start being more better and that way the community would be a better place.


To get where I need to be, I’ll need to go to college, take four years of pre-medical courses such as biology, chemistry, human anatomy, psychology, etc. Taking those courses would help me along the way by knowing how one person is behaving, their body language, and also to know what medicine I’m using while prescribing treatment to my patients. After I complete those courses and got my bachelors degree, D.M. (Doctor of Medicine), I would need a four year of medical school but first, I would take a test to see if I’m qualified to enter. Next, I would take fours years of residency training. I’ll basically practice medicine, disciplines, such as forensic psychology, being in a clinic or hospital. When the training is over with, I will be licensed as a psychiatrist. 


Mastering the skills, excellent listening, communication, stress tolerance, inspire trust and confidence, and prescribing medication would make you the awesomeness specialist. Not everyone in this world would take years and hours to make sure all these mental illnesses people are okay. A psychiatrist should get more recognition because of the preventions they’re doing in the environment. I hope to be that helping hand person to make someone feel normal again. 


The author's comments:

Very determined.