It's Not The Same Difference This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

German. The very word leaving her mouth, referring to Nazis. It really got to me. While people grieve over the Holocaust, are the Germans to blame? Wait, I'm not saying the Nazis aren't to blame, but there is a difference between Nazis and Germans. Like in the Holocaust, if you had one shred of Jewish blood in you, you were Jewish, and if now, many years later, I sit here, part German, am I to blame? I thought and then came up with an answer: NO. When we're in kindergarten we are taught not to label people, so why refer to Nazis as Germans? You don't have to be German to be a Nazi or a neo-Nazi, so why do you have to be referred to as a Nazi to be German.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I'm part German; I'm also part Jewish. Therefore, I am German and I'm not a Nazi. Even if my relatives had been Nazis or in the German army, why blame me, or others like me. I too realize the horror of the Holocaust, because it's part of my heritage, but I do not blame myself. So please, if you want to blame the Nazis, do it, but don't blame the Germans or their relatives. ?

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 1:36 am
I'm Jewish. I have no problem with Germans as long as they are not racist. Good article tho.