A Misdiagnosis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The video in my eighth-grade health class said "shyness is a disease." Imagine how that made me feel, being someone who was, how should I say, lacking in social graces. Even today, three years later, I still look back on this with utter scorn.

While I am somewhat more outgoing than I was then, I still consider myself an introvert. But this is not a sickness. Rather it is a blessing, because it helps to create the beautiful person that I know I am. My shyness may cause people to think that I'm unfriendly, snotty, or just not interested in them, when in actuality, I just don't feel like talking to anyone, or I can't think of anything to say. So, to all of you who enjoy time alone, you are all wonderful and certainly not sick. Everyone is entitled to his/her own freedom of expression. And to anyone who believes the opposite, I would suggest that you not judge a book by its cover. You may be missing out on something great. ?