Music Education Needs Its Fair Share This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Think about it: what would the world be like without orchestras andbands?

It certainly sounds like it in schools. When budget cuts have to bemade, music is always the first to go. When a musical achievement is made, it isthe last one to be noticed. Most people don't realize the affect music has. Forexample it helps develop discipline, perseverance, goal setting, self-esteem but most ofall, studies show that kids today who study music have a higher grade pointaverage than those who don't.

To me music is my way of expressing feelingsand emotions. It has taught me to work hard and not to give up something I reallywant to achieve or accomplish.

I continue to study the flute and willnever give it up because the number one rule of playing an instrument is "Nomatter how difficult it seems, the impossible just becomes possible."?

SpringRayyn said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 11:00 am
you have forgotten many spaces. but it makes a point.

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 6:26 am
I like the idea. Maybe, if you wanted to build on this article some more, you could research studies on how music can affect one's actions - eg. calming one down so he/she doesn't shoot up a school, or whatever. Also, a point you may want to bring up is music throughout the ages - it's always survived. I mean, we like it! It's lasted for thousands of years only for suit-wearing big heads to toss it down the drain? ;) This a great start. If you're going to add more to it, please let me know. I'd... (more »)