Gansta Rap This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

With the recent, apparently gang related death of hard-core gangsta rapper Tupac Shakur and the murder trial of rapper Snoop Doggy Dogg, parents are in an uproar. These and many others in this area of the music business use large amounts of profanity, sexually explicit and violent language in their albums. Any child, any age, can walk into the local music store and purchase these cassettes or compact disks. Store clerks are not allowed to refuse the sale but can only politely ask if their parents would mind if they bought the particular album. These albums are labeled "Parental Advisory, Explicit Lyrics." This is as close as anyone can seem to get to banning it within the perimeters of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

Many parents (and others) blame these rappers for the teen violence in our country. They say that because of rappers, their kids are committing crimes. It's not the rappers' fault, it is the parents'. It's time we stop blaming these rappers who sing about what they are brought up around. Parents who don't like it should get control over their own children to ban them from listening to the music. Many parents in our country act irresponsibly and let their children do a lot worse than listen to bad music. They are the reason that our teens are killing, raping, and committing other violent crimes. Unfortunately, we try to place blame on these rappers who perhaps had the same problem of irresponsible parents, which led them to act the way they do.

If we want to get to the problem of violence in our country among teens, it's time we stopped looking to blame the people in the public eye and go straight to the problem: our own homes. ?

@m@nd@ said...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:56 am:
great job really. i like the power you put into your work. it is true what you say and i think people really do blame the wrong people in there childrens actions. adults need to start looking outside the box. many teens all around the world are doing crimes and drugs because there parents didnt say anything about the bad stuff in life. i can relate to that i am a drug addict and my pareents balme my friends and my love for rap music but it is truly there fault. i really think you should give alo... (more »)

Cody_Goelz said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 8:23 am:
I agree i listen to tupac all the time and if my parents dont like it than they should try to put a stop to it and not blame the rapper for who i am i am me for a reason and its cuz i choose to be

Swiwi17 said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm:
You can't tell me, that by the time you're old enough to obtain a gun, knife, or the means to fight you're still justifiying and motivating your actions with, for example, "I'm doing it because Snoop Dogg does it." By the time children have those things, those desires in their minds or willingness to hurt others, they're doing it for another reason. I'm not blaming the parents, I'm not saying it's only their fault, but you know...they're the only ones that can stop it. At the source.

AaronLawrence replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm :
Well said-personelly i love rap music and i'm a pacifist