Double Standards This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

If a woman feels good about being a woman, she's a feminist, but if a man feels good about being a man, he's a chauvinist pig. Why is it politically correct for women to work, but every girl I know won't pay for dinner?

In today's society, there are many double standards. Why is it okay, even encouraged for there to be a television station for African Americans, but if there's a television station for whites, it's considered racist?

And then there's affirmative action. If refusing to hire someone because of race, sex or religion is racist, then isn't hiring someone because of race, sex, or religion racist? People who may be less qualified for a job get one because of race, religion or sex. So, doesn't affirmative action promote racism?

Shouldn't qualifications alone determine who gets a job? Isn't that the only fair way? It's a law because certain groups were oppressed in the past. Why do these people get special rights? If it had happened to them personally, I'd understand, but it didn't; it happened to their ancestors.

Now, I'm Jewish, and my ancestors experienced the Holocaust, but I'm not asking for any special privileges. I'm not belittling what happened to anyone's ancestors' struggles. I'm not saying we shouldn't learn about them, but rather that this isn't a valid reason for special privileges.

The goal is to bring the races together, but these double standards don't exactly help. I'm not a racist, or a sexist, I just have some questions. ?

bannedfromtheuniverse said...
Double standards, I hate double standards...

toxic.monkey said...
I'm always asking myself the exact same questions! well-worded :))