Human Euthanasia | Teen Ink

Human Euthanasia MAG

By Anonymous

   During the past few years there has been a great controversy over the practices of Dr. Jack Kevorkian. He has assisted many terminally ill people, through the use of euthanasia, to die with dignity. His actions and views are controversial because most of the United. States, especially the judicial and medical community, disagree with what they call "assisted suicide." Dr. Kevorkian has been jailed for his assistance. Yet, he continues to follow his belief that people have the right to decide to die if they are terminally ill, have no quality of life and are suffering physically, as well as mentally.

I support Dr. Kevorkian in his belief because I have experienced this situation first-hand. I recently lost my grandfather after a six-year struggle with strokes and cancer. For years after he had several strokes, he was in reasonably good health with a desire to live. But in 1996 he was diagnosed with cancer and within a four-month period and four surgeries, he became so gravely ill that he was bedridden, powerless, without any chance for quality of life. My grandfather was still of sound mind and fortunately able to make the decision for himself that struggle was futile. He was brave enough to request that his medications be discontinued and machines be turned off. Within 48 hours my grandfather passed on.

My entire family supported my grandfather during these illnesses, as well as in his final decision to let nature take its course. We all knew too well the alternative would have been for my grandfather to have just existed. Anyone who has not experienced what he went through might be critical of his decision. I feel this is what has happened with the public. They cannot relate to the circumstances that surround a person who is terminally ill and in extreme pain.

Dr. Kevorkian is left to deal with this criticism after he has assisted his patients in their decisions to terminate their lives. There are many scientific, moral and religious issues that can be discussed, but I am simply writing about the human aspect of watching a loved one suffer and knowing that at long last he has found peace. Possibly the solution to this controversy could be to legalize this procedure so that it is only performed by doctors with the consent of the patient and his/her family. ?