Facebook: Combatting hate speech | Teen Ink

Facebook: Combatting hate speech

By Patra BRONZE, Bamenda, Other
Patra BRONZE, Bamenda, Other

Facebook was made to be safe space, one where people can easily meet new people and connect with existing friends and family. Unfortunately, safety on the platform has been an issue. We can't ignore the widespread propagation of hate speech on social media, especially on Facebook. Cyberbullying has become the norm. Social media is turning into a tool of destruction. 

If I can be the CEO of Facebook, I will take an extra step in the fight against hate speech. Already, we have options where users can report posts and comments in case they contain any derogatory remark. This was not effective enough, so a team of dedicated individuals were hired to find and remove hateful content. Yet again, this addition has not been fully successful in the quest to beat hate speech on Facebook.

In this era of Artificial Intelligence, we (The Facebook team) took an AI approach. Using AI to find and remove hateful material has been effective up to an extent. At least, more potent than humans. Still, the fact remains that no matter how fast pejorative content is deleted, it may have already reached they eyes of an individual before being removed.

As the CEO of Facebook, I will to take a new approach: stopping hate speech before it is published. Led by me, we will develop a system which uses advanced algorithms to detect hate speech in real time. This system will be attached to the post and comments sections of Facebook. Hopefully, we can detect hate speech as it is being written. We shall invest a lot into creating very accurate Natural Language Processing algorithms, capable of identifying hate speech accurately in order to avoid false positives or negatives.

What next, you may ask? Say our algorithms successfully detects hate speech in a writing, what will we do about it? We will consider disabling the post/comment button, hereby stopping the user from publishing the content until revisions are made. While this option may be effective, some may consider it extreme, worrying about a case where the algorithms produce inaccurate results.

Another approach we may take is attempting to get the user to re-think his/her choice of words. This will be done by generating a popup, with a message such as "Your words have the potential to hurt someone. Are you sure you want to share this? Please, consider editing your writing." By so doing, we can hopefully stop hate speech by touching the hearts of the perpetrators. If this tactic proves futile, we will just go ahead and prevent the content from being shared by inactivating the post/comment button until necessary edits are made. Like they say; drastic situations call for drastic measures. 

We are looking forward to be better Facebook. One free of any form of hate and filled with love.

I use Facebook a lot. Noticing the issue of hate speech on the platform, I decided to put myself in the shoes of Mark Zukerberg, thinking of what I'll do differently.