Life Inside the Screen | Teen Ink

Life Inside the Screen

March 28, 2019
By Oromano21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Oromano21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It is the year 2019, you walk into your house after a long day of school to see your siblings sitting on the couch on their phone, your dad working on his laptop, and your mom cooking in her brand-new kitchen. This has become the regular, classic routine for most people. There is no doubt that our world revolves around technology. By now, it is very uncommon to see people without an iPhone, iPad, Laptop, or some type of technology in their hands. In recent years, the has seen a dramatic change in the world of technology. With hundreds of new inventions created, people have been more attached to their devices. Children use electronics to watch YouTube videos, teenagers use their electronics for social media, and adults are always using their phone for. Although it feels like there was never a time without iPhones and social media, there was once a time where people did not have the option to text a friend, get the latest news within seconds, or complete simple tasks with one press of a button. The entire concept of a world ran by technology is still new to society, especially with a generation of kids and teens raised who has never seen a world without it. These intense changes in the way of life are very obvious, yet many people seem to deny the fact how much the world has rapidly altered. This leaves people questioning whether technology and social media have a harmful impact on our life.


Ever since the massive outbreak in technology, doctors have been conducting research on the behavior of humans to look for any mental impacts. Since most people truly believe that social media and technology is the cause of so many mental illnesses, doctors wanted to see if this was true. A study from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine found that, “[…] the more time young adults spent on social media, the more likely they were to have problems sleeping and report symptoms of depression” (Hurley, Katie). The more time people spend on social media, your mental health can be affected as a result of exposure to cyberbullying, comparisons, too many friends, inappropriate content, etc. An overload on technology can also affect sleeping time, and social interactions. Once you become so invested in your devices, you lose your grip on the real world. If someone is dealing with these problems, there are many ways to limit screen time to improve your mental health. Spending time going for a walk, hanging out with friends and family, going out to eat, etc. are the best ways to generate more time off the phone. By just shutting your device off at a certain time every night, your sleeping will improve tremendously, and you will wake up feeling better rested. You can also watch the amount of time you spend a day on social media. There are many apps that help monitor your time using technology. Apps such as Social Fever, SPACE, AppDetox, OFFTIME, MyAdictometer, along with plenty of more apps like these, can help track your social media usage and set times to stop using social media. It is true that an overwhelming usage of technology and social media can influence one's mental health, which is why it is important to know many solutions to resolve this problem.


Along with many research studies proving multiple downsides in technology and social media, there are many upsides in the world of technology. The advancement of technology was initially invented to makes the life of humans for sufficient. Normal ways of life became a lot simpler with each new invention made. Of course, with this technology comes social media. Social media is a wonderful way of bringing people closer together by making communicating much more accessible and effortless. We are able to reach someone with one click of a button, rather than writing a letter and waiting weeks for a response. With social media, we can view other people’s lives and their daily activities, and hear the latest news the second something happens. For instance, people who originally had socializing trouble, social media can provide many ways of meeting new friends. There are many other advantages of technology, for example, “...computers can be used to do research, play online math games, and improvelanguage skills. Television can offer educational programs such as documentaries and other educational materials. Even video games can encourage developmental skills such as hand-eye coordination” (Lee, Katherine). All in all, there are many drawbacks and upsides to the modern nature of technology and social media. The trick is to find an ideal balance. Taking some relaxing break throughout the day can work as the happy medium, and it is the perfect way to improve mental health without giving up on the digital world completely.


In a place powered by technology, many people are left to question benefits or obstruction that it can cause. The world has been swept away by social media and technology, it is almost rare to see someone without a digital device in their hand. Since technology and social media is something that everyone is so invested in, doctors began studies to answer people's questions. As a result, these high-tech inventions can definitely impact health negatively, but impacts society positively. What is most important is to remember to always keep a healthy balance. So, turn the phone off, go for a walk, hangout with some family or friends, and enjoy your break! At the end of the day the world will never stop evolving, so we might as well adapt to it.