Teen Pregnancy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Teen Pregnancyby Charis Eckert, Womelsdorf, PAIs there a solution to teen pregnancy? This is a question pondered by many, and the answer depends solely on who one asks. I know a relatively new teen mother who regrets the decision that she made. She loves her son and married his father, but things are not always easy. Her husband never finished college, and she never got to start. There is a solution, but it will not be easy.For the solution to work, some must take responsibility for the problem. Our society sees teens as out of control. Instead of teaching us how to control our emotions and feelings, they tell us we cannot, and hand out condoms and birth control pills. They feel the need to compensate for our irresponsibility. As a 17-year-old girl, I feel that society expects me to mess up, and tries to cover up and fix what I have done wrong. I feel I am responsible and capable of taking control of my actions, and the consequences that sometimes follow.After saying all of this, my solution is a change in society. Our society should believe in and encourage self-control. Instead of handing out condoms and pills, they should show and tell us what the consequences will be.Our society underestimates my generation. We are not an out-of-control people, but a people with hurts and pains. We have a society that calls us "Generation X," and we are convinced of its truth. Teen pregnancy will not change until some generation works to stop it, and some society takes away our "out of control" excuses. Responsibility is the only cure for this disease. ?

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm:
There are so many article on teen pregnancy on teen ink!

123098 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Definitely, teens should accept and allowed the responsibility of making decisions concerning sex. However, I think we should be encouraged to use condoms and birth control if we're going to have sex. Abstinence only won't work, but we should be made aware of all the choices and options we have. I think we need a rounded education as well! Nice job!