Matters Of The Mind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Matters of the Mindby Jen Miller, Muncy, PAWho in this world is worthy enough to judge which of us are mentally insane? What is sanity and how do we come up with a definition for it? Those who speak of worlds beyond the one we know, those who travel to places we will never see and those who take on the personalities of heroes and celebrities as their own are often written off as mentally ill. I have yet to be convinced that we are any better off. How many of us feel the pressures of life closing in and wish we could find a way to escape? Yet those who succeed in this escape are thrown into asylums so that they don't pollute society. Maybe the pollution is our own. Maybe we are limiting ourselves to one type of living and our brains to one type of thinking. It seems to me that each of us does what we need to do to survive in a society full of pressure and expectations. Some people relieve stress by playing instruments or punching walls. Others choose to leave the world (as we know it) behind and enter into a society all their own. Yet we remain so self-righteous that we think these people need to conform to our standards of living. I ask you, what are we so afraid of? Are we scared that the individuals may be dangerous or maybe that they may be right? ?

dannym said...
This peice touches a term many people are afraid to discuss or simply comprehend. I like the way you view the world, the outside looking in.

MissElizabethBathroy said...
Dec. 27, 2010 at 3:02 am
People have always been afraid of "different." Whether their conscious of it or not. In history, madness was considered an illness, i'd like to think of it as a rare beauty that most of us do not get the chance to tap into, though of course i keep its many many downsides in mind. Towards the beginning of your article you talk about insanity and madness, but in the end you talk about conforming, and difference. Madness and not conforming are two totally different things. I dislike society so much... (more »)