Made In China | Teen Ink

Made In China

March 4, 2019
By eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The article titles Made In China by Elle Mandie sparks many different emotions in me. At first it is pity that this is what she has to go through almost every time she meets someone new. My next instinct is to be protective because this hits problem hits home for me, not because I myself experience it, but because I know that this is what my best friend has to go through also. I hate to think that is what everyone first thinks to ask about and that what ethnicity someone comes from is more important than the one they were raised in. I think that Elle wrote and amazing article that expresses what people who are brought in from a young age or of a different ethnicity have to go through. My favorite part is when she states, “I request for people to go beyond my bright, golden skin - to look into my beautiful slanted eyes and explore my individuality rather than my appearance and my origin.” I think that this is something everyone needs to hear whether they are the ones asking the questions or the ones having to bare with them everyday. I also like how she compares the “Made in China” and “Made in the U.S.A” stickers to her situation because the fit perfectly. In my opinion, her ending words of “I am Chinese. I am American.” summarize the meaning of the article perfectly. It seems like she is saying she is not one, but both, and proud to be.