My Name Essay | Teen Ink

My Name Essay

By 9brown BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
9brown BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

The name Matthew represents positivity and resilience, and means a gift from God. To me, Matthew is a blue color and creates happiness among many.

Matthew was originally one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus. Matthew was incredibly smart and wise and his story shows everyone can stand to learn from him. He looked at everything with a humble perspective, trying to help others whenever he could. Matthew changed his life forever by leaving the comfort and security of his job, as well as his home, to follow Jesus and help people around the world. I would have loved to meet with Matthew and ask questions as well as seek advice whenever I found adversity.

My name is Matthew. Growing up, I’ve heard my name in many different ways, both realistic and comedic. Typically, I hear either Matt or Matthew; my friends call me Matt and my family and close relatives call me Matthew and while I prefer Matthew, I also hear more unrealistic names, mainly made by people joking.

To further elaborate, I connect the name Matthew to a blue color, symbolizing both confidence and calmness. When I hear Matt, I think people are just trying to be quick and save time, it’s like a lake, filled with fun, but missing something, whereas when I hear Matthew, it sounds much more professional and sophisticated and is like an ocean, filled with limitless mystery and beauty.

I believe I’ve inherited Matthew’s name and some of the traits and characteristics he lived by because of the similar ideas we share, and the way we live our lives. I’m proud to have my name and all the traits and responsibilities that go along with it.

This essay talks over what my name means to the people in my everyday life as well as what it means to me.