The Modern Zoo: Saving Species from Extinction | Teen Ink

The Modern Zoo: Saving Species from Extinction

February 21, 2019
By Maddie5224 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Maddie5224 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The article “The Modern Zoo: Saving species from Extinction” was a very good article. It was very well written and stated the authors opinion very clearly, and that’s the thing about this article, it is based off of an opinion. People might read that article and think that what the article is talking about isn’t true. The article states that zoos are helping save animals from extinction, and while that is true there are people that believe that having the animals as Chris and Martin Kratt would say “living free and in the wild.”  where they belong is the right thing to do. The article states that “Many zoos have made wildlife conservation a key pillar of their missions. Zoos serve as critical safeholds for endangered species, populations…” That quotes states that zoos are doing good in the world, which is true but there are also roadside zoos that do the complete opposite and they only catch the animal to make money. Then after awhile they neglect the animal and leave them on the side of the road. Now I am not saying that all zoos do that, some zoos are very careful of their animals and give them a balanced diet and give them their basic necessities and more. The thing is the animals are trapped in enclosures and aren’t really able to experience the real world and their real habitats and they are forced to follow a schedule. I personally think that zoos are a good and bad thing. The article says “In a time when people spend less and less time outdoors, zoos serve as a place to teach children and remind adults that wildlife and wild species still exist, and our society holds the future of these species’ survival in our hands.” I believe that that is true, but at the same time animals deserve to be able to live in their own habitat and live the natural way in the animal kingdom.