Single-Sex Schools? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you think single-sex schools are helpful or harmful tostudents? Is the environment less distracting and competive,or more? It could be argued that students are not learningsocial skills necessary later in life, but it can also be saidthat those who go to single-sex schools gainconfidence.

The environment of single-sex schools maybe less distracting because there are fewer disruptiveoutbursts of kids trying to impress each other. For example,guys would not be trying to impress girls, because therewouldn't be any. School may also be less distracting becausethere's no competition for who goes out with the mostattractive or popular person of the opposite sex. On the otherhand, single-sex schools might not be less distracting. Forteens who are "going out," it is more stressful since theirrelationship is with someone outside their school.

Somesay people who go to a single-sex school lack essential socialskills; others say going to a single-sex school helps buildconfidence and self because of the less stressfulenvironment. If someone went to a single-sex school, theymight not have social skills gained through conversing withthe opposite sex.

Single-sex schools can be harmful orhelpful. They can help build self-confidence or lead to fewersocial skills. Single-sex schools could have more disruptions,or fewer. So, what do you think: helpful or harmful?

TremblingCatholic said...
Single-sex schools are a good thing! Well, High Schools. Co-ed grade schools, then single-sex high schools is the way to go. That's what I did, and life is great. If you think that ss high schools lead to fewer social skills, then you either spend all of your time at school, or you just suck at being social altogether. It's not the school's fault that someone can't make friends outside of school.

Jaida said...
okk i liked the topic cuz this is a major problem in my country .. i am totally against sinle sex skools girls are part of the world as well as the boys .. being in a mixed class will teach us how to communicate well with the other sex understand each other more rather than going to university wondering what is this creature? second concerning the part building self confidence dnt think that being in a mixed class could stress you or make u nt feel comfortable what would u do then in your wo... (more »)

sprinkshine said...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:01 am
I'm thinking it wouldn't really matter if you were homosexual. There would still be distractions of trying to impress others, and flirting.