Teen Ink Educator Of the Year Nomination | Teen Ink

Teen Ink Educator Of the Year Nomination

January 19, 2019
By kaitlin-mattix BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
kaitlin-mattix BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


I believe one of the nominees for Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year should be Ms. Valerie Limmina. She is my geometry teacher for this semester at the Delaware Military Academy. I have learned so much in her class and look forward to it every day. Ms. Limmina is very good with keeping the students engaged in class with different types of incentives. She is able to teach the class in a timely manner, given that the class is only a semester long, while teaching it in a way that everyone understands. Lastly, Ms. Limmina is not only a good teacher, she is also a good person no matter the situation. Therefore, Ms. Limmina should be considered for Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year.

Ms Limmina has many different methods to keep us engaged during class. She knows how kids can be when zone out in class which doesn’t help anyone. Whenever we take a test or a quiz, Ms. Limmina tells us that if we get an A, she will give us a paper star to put on the world. This may be something very small, but for some reason it still motivates us all to try our best. When we get our test or quiz back with a piece of paper, we get excited to decorate it with our name and put it on the wall. She will also occasionally give us a small piece of candy if we raise our hand. This really helps the class participate in class. Ms. Limmina is very good with keeping the class interested and excited for class.

At my school, almost all of the classes are only a semester long. This can prove difficult for some teachers who are new and have to adjust to this. Ms. Limmina only started teaching at DMA last year and has adjusted very quickly. She is able to teach the class everything we need to know in a timely matter. This does not mean that she moves too fast. If you ever are confused and need extra help, all you have to do is ask her. She can move slower in class, you could stay after school with her for extra help, or you could even go to her during lunch. Ms. Limmina has good time management and has been able to meet everyone's needs.

Lastly, Ms. Limmina is such a nice person. She is so caring and is always there for her students. She will start every class with “How is everyone's day?” and ask us how we are. If it’s a Monday, she may ask us what exciting plans we had that past weekend. She is always such a positive person and always has a smile on her face. Ms. Limmina always wants what’s best for all of her students and is such a kind soul.

Since Ms. Limmina is such a good teacher and person, and she is always giving teaching her all; I can proudly say she is one of my favorite teachers. Every student to have her as a teacher is very lucky. Her amazing personality will stick with you forever. All of these attributes convinced me that Ms. Limmina should be Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year.


The author's comments:

This is an article nominating my geometry teacher for Teen Ink's Educator of the Year. I am a 9th grader at Delaware Military Academy and had Ms. Limmina my first semester for geometry.