Shakespear is Terrible | Teen Ink

Shakespear is Terrible

January 18, 2019
By njdMatthew BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
njdMatthew BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Shakespeare is an outdated writer from the Elizabethan era writer that still bores students in high schools across the world. He was great for his time and people appreciated him for it, but as history moved forward, his writing styles become outdated and plots are hard to follow along for readers in the present day. This writing style from the past does not hold up well and should be considered outdated and a lousy writer.

To start, Shakespeare plots are too complicated and outdated for the modern person to understand. They are not much else going on in the story, but the subject matter that the characters are talking about is confusing to the reader. People in the modern day can have a rough time figuring out what drives these characters actions because it is so unclear to them. For example, in Macbeth, Macbeth thinks that he cannot be killed by a man born of women, so Macbeth does not worry about dying in this large-scale battle. When Macbeth is fighting Macduff, Macduff says that he was ripped from his mother’s womb, meaning he had a C-section birth. This makes Macbeth scared, and spoilers, Macduff kills him. This whole scenario with Macduff not being born of women is confusing to the modern-day reader because, in today’s society, people are still considered to be born of woman if they had a C-section. Also, outdated things, such as Macduff’s birth, are what move the character forward in the stories of Shakespeare. The only way someone would fully understand this type of writing is if they had a great understanding of the time period that it was written in and in the time period where it takes place. The plot is pretty confusing, that is if you could actually understand what they are saying in the story. The language used is just plain absurd to be seen in the current day. Another area that brings frustration is the witches. They are cryptic and do nothing to the current day reader but raise questions.

In conclusion, Shakespeare’s writing does not hold up in the current day and should be considered terrible in the current day.


The author's comments:

This is my opinion about Shakespear