Part-time Jobs = Unhealthy Teens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

With the amount of money spent by teens, most parentsexpect them to earn their own cash. Although part-time jobs do develop moneymanagement skills and responsibility in teenagers, they can be dangerous to ateen's health and safety.

Teens with part-time jobs are at risk of leadingunhealthy lives. A study done by the National Research Council and Institute ofMedicine has shown that teens who work 20 hours a week often get less sleep andexercise than those who don't work. This can lead to lower grades. Teens who workmore than 20 hours a week are also more likely to use alcohol.

Part-timejobs can also jeopardize the safety of youth. The U.S. Department of Laborreports that 100,000 teens visit an emergency room annually for treatment ofjob-related injuries. With insufficient training and inexperience causing mostinjuries.

Part-time jobs do have rewards, but can be hazardous to teens.Working fewer hours a week could help teens maintain a normal lifestyle andprevent them from being injured. Adolescents should not be discouraged fromhaving part-time jobs, but working less would benefit not only teens, but alsoAmerica.

ReflectionsofYou said...
I think anything can be dangerous if it's not done right. Every teen is different, so the idividual hours that are approipriate for them to work will be different,

MisplacedTexan14 said...
There is danger in every job. As soon as I'm old enough, I want to get a job and its not because I need it. My family is well off. But having a job gives you responsibility and you get the satisfaction of earning your own money.