I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

December 12, 2018
By katrina_soccer BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
katrina_soccer BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I believe that helping others and disconnecting from social media can make the world a better place. Many people now a days focus solely on themselves and don’t stop to think how their actions may be affecting others; they think about the perfect picture to post and worry how others may view it if it isn’t good enough. The world we live in today is plagued with many problems and it's hard to think about all of them when you’re constantly checking your social media to see if your crush has liked the selfie you posted yet.

Social media was first thought to be this amazing thing that would connect people, but it has turned into a completely different beast. It has changed people in so many ways from how they view themselves to how they envy others that have more than them. It has created words like FOMO, cyberbullying, and social media addiction. This generation is the first one to be affected by this new trend and the negative effects of it are already being seen and it's only been a handful of years since it’s come about. I believe that just stepping away and making the effort to spend less time on social media and more time with family, being outside and even reading a book can make a change for the better. The step away is what people have the hardest time with.

Social media stars live their lives through theses platforms; putting their best foot toward and only showing the good things never what they’re struggling with deep down inside. This creates unrealistic norms for the young impressionable viewers who will begin to think something is wrong with them because there life isn’t as perfect as there’s. This can also cause these kids to look at themselves in a negative light because they don’t have these ‘perfect’ bodies that they see all over the internet. As this want to be perfect plagues the internet many young girls and boys are suffering because they don't have the body that is being called perfect  so they try to get that body by hurting themselves and depriving themselves of nutrition. This has been a very big problem happening within the age of social media, but I believe it can be fixed with just logging off and taking a step back from this picture perfect life that's your posting especially if it isn't the truth. People are portraying a side of them that doesn't exist, they behind a cover and don't show the real them out of fear that they will be bullied or be spoken poorly about by those they wished to be liked by. Suicide rates in teens are at a high and we wonder why that is, but the answer is right in front of our faces. I believe this trend can be changed and turned around, but first we must realize that these lives we see are truly perfect those people only put the best parts of their lives online.

I believe that dedicating your time to projects other than social media life and the world be a much nicer place to live in. Social media has single handedly helped and partly destroyed relationship, lives and the world. Whenever you have a thought now you can send it out into the world and within just second everyone can see just what you're thinking no matter what it is, and things last forever on the internet it doesn't matter if you've deleted it or not it's still out there. Stepping away is hard especially when you don't have anything else to fill that time with; volunteering and helping those that are in need can fill that time. Volunteering makes you feel good about yourself because you're giving back to your local community, and the help that you give is greatly appreciated. It may not seem like much but it really does make a difference and it inspires people to join you.

I believe that you don't have to completely rid yourself of social media, but go on it in moderation. Don't focus on it and constantly look at all the things you want, but don't have because that is only hurting you and it's not even for a good reason. I believe we can fix what we have caused all we have to do is first realize there is a problem, act on it and try to make a difference in what is going on.  With time things will change I believe that it'll be for the better.