School Policy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I was ten years old, I moved to the United States from France. When I was astudent in France, we had two 15-minute recesses every day. At that time, we wereallowed to go outside and get some air, see our friends and talk.

Ourlunch period was one and a half hours long, and we would spend at least 45minutes, sometimes an hour, outside. It broke up the school day, which went from9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and helped us work harder and concentrate in class.

Idon't understand why American students must stay inside the school building from7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. every day. It would be great if we could take one or twobreaks outdoors. I think everyone would be more relaxed and able to concentratebetter.

It's time school officials started treating us like young adults.If students took advantage of this privilege, they would lose it and be assignedto a study hall instead. It would really be a good thing for everyone. So why nottry it?