Sturdily Standing | Teen Ink

Sturdily Standing

November 13, 2018
By Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A person is more than a single head on two shoulders or a life long string of memories, connecting start to finish. What makes up a person is the hardships they have went through, how they treat others, and the bits and pieces of a personality that set them apart from the other heads in the crowd. This complexity is made up of levels, like a building for instance. If what sets me apart from others are my levels of personality, then I am a tall, intricate, and sturdy building.
           

Enter floor one. The entrance stage that not everyone will exceed. Everyone has this first stage where there is anything but full disclosure. This topical stage does not contain lies or superficial information, it is simply a platform that allows people like me to begin to understand someone, or someone to understand myself, before mentally letting them in. Almost like a filter to sift out the gold pieces lost in the dirt, this stage determines who will and will not remain in my life to continue to the next stage. Filled with vivid bouquets of flowers surrounded by lightly painted walls with rays of sunshine beating through the many windows, I try my best to appear as the greatest version of myself as people built their first impression here, as do I. Those who remain and build my trust and liking move up to level two.
           

This level demonstrates each aspect of my personality. One would breathe kindness, forgiveness, and humor with a step in this room. This level consists of the good in me, similar to the entrance level floor where little of my bad qualities show themselves. The memories in this room contain the arguments where I gave in too easily and showed forgiveness rather than confidence in my point, kindness to those who may not have deserved it, and humor to bring myself and others up in circumstances where we felt we were falling through the cracks. Although forgiveness may come too easily to those less deserved, it teaches me to hold more love than hate and to move on from mentally paralyzing places in my life.

Similarly, being kind to those who exhibited the opposite to me demonstrates maturity and the ability to rise above, which completely outweighs the petty sensation of revenge. Humor does not generate all of my happiness, but it makes me comfortable with the people around me and can keep me from thinking negatively. Optimism also shows itself in full colors throughout level two. Without this quality, I would be buried under each unexpected turn in life and knocked out from the slap in the face of rejection. The main purpose of this level is to keep all of my good qualities, while shoving the more negative ones down below.
           

All buildings build up, but some also build down. A basement would contain my undesirable qualities that are mainly hidden from visitors. These consist of moments of selfishness and gloom. Putting others first is not always the easiest thing to accomplish, as humans constantly try to better themselves. As everyone else does, I battle with this greed on a daily basis but compromise with myself to bring others up along with myself. This shows me that there is value in lifting other up and making others happy, therefore radiating that feeling to myself as well. Without learning this quality, I would be in a constant state of gloom. Although sometimes inevitable, this gloom teaches me to support myself without having to reply on someone else for happiness and support.