Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

October 30, 2018
By Anonymous


Dear Readers:

 


What would you do if you lost one of your friends to depression?  A lot of people lose their friends or family members. Most people who kill themself is from depression when it is untreated. Most of the time parents don’t believe their teens when the say they have depression. That's why most of the suicides are teens. When depression is untreated, the suicide and death rate goes up.  Parents should believe their teens in order to decrease the rate of teenage suicides.


One reason depression is not taken as seriously as it should is parents do not believe their teens.  For example, they don't sometimes take their teens seriously because they think that the are hiding things. Parents don't understand depression because they never been there  so they don't what their going through. According to Psychology Today “ teens treat lying as a practical way to escape punishment, of getting away with tune forbidden, a way to get a little freedom”( Pickhardt). Because they lie to get of of trouble, that's why their parents don't believe them about more serious issues like depression

What happens to people with depression when untreated it can cause death or want somebody to commit  suicide. Most parents can't relate when their child says they have depression or any medical illness. For example, I have depression and they told me to shut up and deal with and i said ok whatever. According to medical News, “ Sadness, feeling down,having a lost interest is a sign of depression.” Parent needs to use these sing as well.

So when depression is untreated it can cause death and when parents don't believe their kids when they have depression. Therefor when you have depression tell someone anyone who will listen to you and hear you out talk to them right now because it might seem that nobody cares about you but in all realty someone does care about you.  I had a friend who killed herself because of depression and i blamed it on myself because if i just made one phone call she still be here but all she needed was someone to talk to and i could have been the one she could talk to. Nobody believe that she had depression because she would always say she was fine but in reality she wasn't fine she was crying on the inside . Call someone when you are upset or feeling down because someone does care about you.


Sincerely,

Your friend Nya W.