School Uniforms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

Thinker said...
From experiance in both uniformed and un-uniformed schools, I find that the problem isn't the clothes, but rather the refusal of others to accept people for who they are. The uniforms are a "Band-Aid" solution to a major underlying socal problem. Un-educated inhabitions.

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
If everybody was wearing uniforms, wouldn't they be accepted for who they are rather than what they wear?

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:35 am
The idea that people are what they wear is vain, remeber the addage, never judge a book by the cover. But that is what schools are teaching their students, enforcing vainity, the underlying cause of bullying, and they are stripping students of independent self esteem. This is appearant in the way that most students can't even think clearly if it isn't in a structured enviorment, without habit they are lost. Remember, happiness is more than a smile on your face.

So how would uniform appearance promote vanity?

Thinker replied...
From the schools point of view, a student who dresses as a student does better. Supposedly its based on the psycology of uniformity, I call it vainity. The idea is the same as the posters that they hang on the wall, if you think you look like a student, then you will become one, and become a better one over time. Anyone who has the ability to think for themselves knows this is just a political tatic. Schoos have too much social power as it is.

Thinker replied...
Basically, the school thinks that by changing to cover of the book, they change the content of it also, which we all know is total @*%$#!!!! If you catch my drift.

Eeve replied...
I must make the point that kids are vain and do judge based on clothes- for example "labels are for soupcans" but still people use them. For example, "Emo" people are hated by other students for what they wear, without anyone knowing what they are really like. Catch my drift?

Allygirl replied...
Well, yeah, but I'm pretttyy darn sure the "emos" dress like that for a reason. And, yeah kids are vain, but thats life. It is people in general are vain and judge mental. Thats life, not just school. No matter where you are you are getting judged. Are we supposed to wear uniforms outside of school too, just so that we fit in better?? Haa, fat chance.

AnneOnnimous said...
This was a great article but i disagree with it. Uniforms squash originality and individuality. Personally, i adore clothes and shopping, so I could never go to a school with uniforms. Also, I think the cost of normal clothes is less than that of uniforms: if you can't afford pricier clothes, you can get cheaper clothing, whereas when you have uniforms you are forced to buy something no matter what your budget is.

nana,nana-bissness replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:46 am
Now this I agree with you  totally understand me !I think the same way!!!!!!

AnneOnnimous replied...
aha, I'm glad you agree!!! :)

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love that you support the place of uniforms. I had to wear a uniform throughout elementary school. I didn't mind at all. But throughout junior high and my first two years of high school, I have been wearing street clothes. I like both of the ideas. Now, I am so accustomed to wearing street clothes, that I would probably be upset if my high school switched. But I wouldn't complain because like Sophia said, I would love the "cute preppy look". LOL. Great article.

vjrgbyr@vur replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:52 am
boooooooooooooooooooooo uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:38 am
Please defend your opinnion with more than just your preferance, there is more to this issue than "likes" and "dis-likes".

LittleMiss replied...
All of the preppy people at my school are mean, snotty, and immature so I do NOT want to look like them.

PurpleMidnight said...
This is a good argument for school uniforms, but I still disagree with you. School uniforms take away individuality and expression. If kids and teens wear deragatory clothing, do they not get punished? If not, I suggest you talk to you administrators and your district leaders about that. If a punk wants to wear black and neon, with dyed hair, converse and lip piercings, let them. If a prep wants to wear vests, pink, and headbands, same as the punks.

Thinker replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:48 am
Personally, I believe that uniforms are a part of the mcjob(yes this is a real word, google it.) epidemic that is sweeping our nation. We are encouraged to give up our indiviguality, independance, self esteem, self reliance, and critical thought processes for the ploy of safety and security. This is the same reason all schools seem to imply that without college degrees you will be absolutely worthless, when the key to sucess is really, presistance, perciveriance, and creative thought. ... (more »)

Abigail_W said...
I understand your side of the problem, and I think this is an excellent, though-provoking article, although I disagree. I am one of the few students in my public school who does not dress just like the other kids. I dress like a girl straight out of the Woodstock festival in 1969. Kids make fun of my bandanas, peasant tops, Chuck Taylors, and homemade tie-dyed shirts, but I don't care. This all goes to show how strong my relationships are with my friends, because although they don't partic... (more »)

harryFANatic<3 said...
great article. its very well written. i totally agree with u tho. i had to wear a uniform from kindergarten till 8th grade. now im in a public high school, and picking out what im going to wear every day makes things so complicated! i miss having uniforms.

ladii chastity replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:37 am
i feel that students should have to wear uniform because some students parent can not affored school uniform

Sophia S. said...
Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:20 am
you're right, personally, i think this when i hear the word 'uniform': great! cute skirts, cute vests, cute socks= a cute preppy look. I don't mind it at all as long as it doesn't look nerdy or dorky. i guess i'm fantasizing more about the uniforms anime characters wear. lol, off topic, good opinion and i totally agree with you.